GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garage Door Opener Mod

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
I'm not sure if anyone's posted something similar before, but I made a quick tutorial on turning the useless "buttons" on the right side of your shifter into a garage door opener. I did something similar for my MKV and thought it would be just as easy for the MK7.

iboost335sti

Passed Driver's Ed
Great! i run the double apex garage opener because the oem look ... honestly is the best mod i did... so useful.
I am looking at purchasing the Double Apex piece for the garage door opener because it looks very nice..... Was installation difficult?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
i like that you modded the existing blanks,

i did all the other steps the same with just soldering the leads to the back of the remotes connections, but with the switch i just picked this up and use the tire pressure set button, i prefer this to the APEX image that sceams out to a person that breaks into the car "heres how to get in my garage, oh and if you need my address just open the glove box and check my registration" lol.

Really thinking I’ll do it with the blanks now though so I can add these decals I have, thanks for making and posting vid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Center-Con...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
1800EBA4-14B9-43D4-B337-960819E4AD74.jpeg
27405B25-9F24-447A-8173-8D71C6B8F744.jpeg

Last edited:

huh0kay

Passed Driver's Ed
For anyone considering the Apex garage opener, I'd recommend looking into the oem homelink mirror. For the around the same price, you get an autodimming mirror as well as a 3 button garage opener built in. I'm not sure how the Apex works, but the homelink only allows you to open the garage when the car is in the ON position so no one can smash your window and open your garage without the key.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
For anyone considering the Apex garage opener, I'd recommend looking into the oem homelink mirror. For the around the same price, you get an autodimming mirror as well as a 3 button garage opener built in. I'm not sure how the Apex works, but the homelink only allows you to open the garage when the car is in the ON position so no one can smash your window and open your garage without the key.

Just about all garage door opener remotes are just kept on the sunvisor anyways. My buttons aren't marked, so I doubt anyone robbing the car would know to press them, although I have had my other car broken into at my old house...they didn't grab the remote, lol. Plus, the GTI is kept in the garage anyways.

The purpose of the video was to give an alternative to the Apex or Homelink mirror for little to no cost. It would be cool though to do this same mod, but wire it to a switched B+ source on the car so it only works when the car is on. Something would have to be done about the voltage though, perhaps incorporate a voltage regulator for power, or a relay for a dry contact. Running wires to the mirror and adding a couple of pushbuttons would be a cinch too....hmm....that's not a bad idea for another video.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Great job! If i may add a bit of advice, put in a new battery before doing this.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
this is a cool little project, thanks for sharing. If I had a garage door I'd probably do this lol.

edit: and to add my .02 - the homelink mirror would be great if it didn't always have the compass in it. I'd much prefer the non-homelink frameless, auto dimming, and this mod.

engalex

Car(s)
golf5
This is a really nice idea! Thank you for sharing, do you have any idea if it’s available for Golf 5 ?I still building my garage and i might use electrical doors and with these buttons it would look really cool. i moved to Australia few months ago for working here, and i bought a big home in Melbourne but i was surprised that it doesn’t has a garage for the car and i had to build one, i started with the concrete base and searched in internet for garage models, as a new here i didn’t know any steel and wood companies so i asked the neighbours and them told me about LSS Melbourne so i ordered the building materials for the garage, first they wanted to build them for me but i said no because i love building process.

Last edited:

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
This is a really nice idea! Thank you for sharing, do you have any idea if it’s available for Golf 5 ?I still building my garage and i might use electrical doors and with these buttons it would look really cool. i moved to Australia few months ago for working here, and i bought a big home in Melbourne but i was surprised that it doesn’t has a garage for the car and i had to build one, i started with the concrete base and searched in internet for garage models, as a new here i didn’t know any steel and wood companies so i asked the neighbours and them told me about LSS Melbourne so i ordered the building materials for the garage, first they wanted to build them for me but i said no because i love building process.

This would be even easier in the Golf5 or MKV. I had one for 11 years and 205k miles. I added a switch and a few LEDs in my MKV that controlled my water/meth system. Here's a picture of that:
20180603_151325.jpg

To make this a hidden pushbutton, just remove the top of the "fake" buttons beside the ESP OFF and add the micro switch below it the same way I did in the MK7. Geez, my car was super dirty in this picture. :/

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
all my buttons in the center console are in use, because I have all the options, and I needed two buttons, one for the gate and one for the garage.

so I installed the telematics buttons, the ones in the ceiling light assembly. now the INFO button opens the gate and the WRENCH button opens the garage. the SOS button is not used. unfortunately I couldn't find a way to modify the buttons look but hey... whatever...