GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fully loaded Golf R worth it over Base?

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, I know you might say "Use the search tab" but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

So with that said, is DCC, Park Distance sensors, 19" wheels, Fender Audio, and Navi worth the $3k+ over the base model?

Thanks.

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
poo.

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally, I think we are getting a great deal for 3k. DCC is a fantastic system and the SAT/NAV unit is a plus.

Aftermarket ECU DCC system will run you close to $3800. KW currently makes a system.

Thanks, Tecklenburg! My company could get $513 off of MSRP but I mean it's a small savings but everything counts, right?

and for the Base model, it's $414 off of MSRP.

erick.s1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you get a lot for the difference, but you have to ask yourself if you're getting stuff you care about. I had one of the 500 preorder cars but I decided to cancel and go with a base model instead. At the end of the day I didn't find the package compelling enough.

DCC is a neat gadget, but I'd use it maybe a dozen times and then completely forget about it. The nav will be out of date in a year. The Fender would be nice, but I have a bunch of subs and amps laying around my garage from past cars so I'll just add on to the already good stock system. 19" wheels are stupid on a car like this and they'll just get trashed on the potholed roads I drive on, so I was going to swap them for 18"s anyway. I already have park distance control - they're called eyeballs.

That being said, if the higher spec car had a sunroof I would have kept my order.

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you get a lot for the difference, but you have to ask yourself if you're getting stuff you care about. I had one of the 500 preorder cars but I decided to cancel and go with a base model instead. At the end of the day I didn't find the package compelling enough.

DCC is a neat gadget, but I'd use it maybe a dozen times and then completely forget about it. The nav will be out of date in a year. The Fender would be nice, but I have a bunch of subs and amps laying around my garage from past cars so I'll just add on to the already good stock system. 19" wheels are stupid on a car like this and they'll just get trashed on the potholed roads I drive on, so I was going to swap them for 18"s anyway. I already have park distance control - they're called eyeballs.

That being said, if the higher spec car had a sunroof I would have kept my order.
Thanks for the reply.

The only thing that I see that I want is the Fender Audio system, I've played with it on the GTI and it sounds great for a "stock" system.

erick.s1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply.

The only thing that I see that I want is the Fender Audio system, I've played with it on the GTI and it sounds great for a "stock" system.

That was pretty much where i was too. Ultimately I didn't think spending an extra $2500+ for only the one thing I wanted made sense.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
At first, I didn't want to buy an R without the DCC, as both the roads around my house can be obnoxiously potholed and my wife likes a smooth riding car. After using it for a short while I wouldn't buy an R without it. It's that good. In "Comfort" mode the ride is still somewhat firm with those 19"wheels, but is far from jarring, even over big bumps, similar to what an M5 feels like around town. Controlled but comfortable. In "Race" mode everything is intensified, just the way you'd like it, but it will still smooth out most road irregularities while still providing tons of feel. Absolutely uncanny when pushed. If I were buying this car primarily for the track I'd be happy to forego this system, but like an SUV owner, I'll probably never leave the street with the vehicle.

The SAT/NAV seems to work quite well, although I could see that somebody who normally uses their smartphone for such might want to save some money and just use that. That would be a shame though, as the display between the speedo and tach is wonderful at giving you all the NAV info you need to know without having to look away from the road for more than a fraction of a second--something which a dash/console mounted iPhone can't do. Of course, come September when the 2016 R's arrive, that will all change.

The parking sensors are nice (especially while I'm getting used to the exact dimensions of the car), but they are far from a "needed" option.

The Fender audio sounds good, even though I question the placement of the subwoofer beneath the cover to the missing spare wheel. I'd have to hear some music played through the standard radio before giving the Fender Audio a thumbs up or down, as per its relative value.

The 19"wheels look reasonably good, although one wouldn't likely be able to tell them apart from the 18" ones, just by looking. That said, the 10mm section width and lower aspect ratio ought to add some small improvements to overall performance, but I'm sure it would be all but imperceptable.

So is the deluxe configuration of the initial 2015 "pre-order" R's worth the extra dosh? It is for me, and I'd probably regret not getting these features had I opted to do otherwise. Then again, I've always thought that the current Golf R was an amazing bargain for what one gets, and now that i've had one for a couple of days, I only hold that opinion more solidly.

Dayv

Ready to race!
The lack of sunroof on either version would be a deal breaker for me (not that I'm ready to trade in my 2012 R yet anyway)... I'd wait a year and hope for better nav, more LED lighting, and a sunroof in 2016.

Also, being forced into 19" wheels would irritate me. 18" already pushes the limits of a reasonable amount of sidewall, IMO.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The lack of sunroof on either version would be a deal breaker for me (not that I'm ready to trade in my 2012 R yet anyway)... I'd wait a year and hope for better nav, more LED lighting, and a sunroof in 2016.

Also, being forced into 19" wheels would irritate me. 18" already pushes the limits of a reasonable amount of sidewall, IMO.

From what I've read, all you'll see in 2016 is the improved infotainment system/screen. Then again we're talking VWOA, so whatever's been said by them might change tomorrow.

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
it's obviously a highly personal choice. for me it's a "no".

i would love the DCC, but navigation means nothing to me, and i want 18" wheels. so i'm not willing to pay $2,500 or whatever the package costs, only to then have to spend time/effort and possibly more money to replace the 19" cadiz (since i feel they won't be worth much due to supply and demand from people who don't like them).

if DCC was stand alone i would probably get it.

kaferboy1

The DCC totally made it worth it for me. It is like having 2 cars in one. I love the stiffness of race mode but my wife is really happy about the comfort mode. She hated how my previous car rode with coilovers. Now we might actually take my car out more when we are running around together on the weekends.