GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full-send grocery getting at VIR in my 2018 GSW w/4Mo + DSG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Good event this past weekend at VIR, full course, Tidewater Sports Car Club. @DerHase was there as well as another member here that's user name escapes me...pics/videos below. I ran in the yellow "lower intermediate" group which is just fine for me at this point. Great group.

Car still does great, really wouldn't change anything at this point.

The Unitronic IS38 tune is great...consistent/reliable/no-drama power on-demand. I was able to touch 140 this time in the back straight (had to really push that braking zone) so power is not an issue here. I was having no issue keeping up with a 911 on the backstraight which is crazy to me!

DSG works great and I just keep it in sport mode except for Oak Tree where I tap the left paddle as I go into the first turn to get it to hold the gear so I don't get a kick-down downshift as I floor it leaving.

The only change to my suspension since the last event in December (TSCC VIR) was I added Superpro rear trailing arm bushings. The suspension feels good and is predictable.

I am still on the bo-bo/Indonesium Accelera 651 Sport 200tw tires (255/40/17) on Apex VS-5RS 17x9 wheels. These tires continue to work well for me and show good wear; they aren't fast TT tires but for doing HPDEs, these have worked great, are consistent and predictable. I drove home in 39 degree rain and they actually worked fine with minimal hydroplaning. These are a good bargain with one of the 15% coupon codes that floats around or even better when they run their 50% sales. I have 5 track days at VIR on these now and they are sitting at 6/32 with rotating them so I may be able to get a few more events out of them. I may switch it up to something different next set but honestly, I'd buy these again as well...or maybe try the 100 version for a bit more grip.

The APR BBK continues to work fantastic, no braking issues. I'm running their "Advanced Track Day" pads which look to me w/r to temp range like a G-Loc/Carbotech 10. Some of the heat cracks on the rotors are starting to get a bit of a lip to them so going to likely order a set of the rotor rings from APR. Out back with the small 272x10mm solid rotors I tried EBC's new Bluestuff NDX pads. There are very few options for the 272s in anything beyond a street pad. I had been running EBC Yellowstuff which also were fine.

I had no temp issues - oil stayed right around 245 with ~60 deg ambient the first day. Second day was cold and raining so didn't even look at it. For oil I'm using High Performance Lubricant's Euro 5W40 - it's a boutique PAO/ester blend so about as good as you can get. I'll run this 6K, had about 2K on it before the event. I have VP Cooldown mixed with the coolant.

I continue to get some DSG fluid overflow out of my vent box...need to re-check my level and see if I'm just over-filled. Makes a mess on that side of the engine/suspension/etc. Spullen makes a catch can but apparently it's not great w/r to fit.

I run ~2.5 gal of E85 with the balance 93 on this tune and use Liquimoly's Speedtec.

I am using a Dragy to record lap times, it's beta right now (the Dragy Lap app) but does seem to work well. The app will have more analysis features at some point.

I upped my safety game this go around and picked up a Zamp full-face helmet with a spare tinted visor and a Simpson Hybrid S HANS from TMI at the track. Took some getting used to.

This event I got to try out the rain which was not really fun and in the end very different than just a damp track...this was moderate rain with standing water in places - I left my stability control on for that session! I also finally did some passing in areas that I hadn't before/was nervous about which was cool and I found I had no issues taking some turns off-line.

Finally - after a go-off on my first lap of my first session, I decided to run ESC Sport vs. off. I felt no dicernable difference but the ESC saved my butt (towards the end of the video linked below). Sport just seems to wait longer to intervene is all but still let me slide in turns and have fun. I don't think this is nearly as invasive as it's portrayed by many folks here/elsewhere and I also think many are discussing it in regards to ASR and wheel spin on tuned fwd GTIs vs. sliding/yaw control.

Good run:

Rain session:

Fails (I have been cleaning grass out of/under my car all day):

Chase cam in a C5 Z06, 5:00 to about 10:00 is some good stuff, just really shaky.

A93A3578.jpg
A93A1728.jpg
A93A9863.jpg
20230212_095711.jpg

Last edited:

19birel

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Great meeting you!

I'm definitely going to consider those Acceleras for my next set of tyres once my Toyos are done, it seems like you had some great pace with them!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Great meeting you!

I'm definitely going to consider those Acceleras for my next set of tyres once my Toyos are done, it seems like you had some great pace with them!
Hey man you too! Just keep in mind that they aren't a super aggressive 200/TT tire but for lapping/fun they work great (for me) and the price was right. There are 15% discount codes around just reach out when you get them.

GoatAutomotive

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Mama always said you needed a helmet… 😉

1676387022243.jpeg

Props to you for taking a wagon this far and flogging it at the big boy tracks. 💪😎

I always enjoy your write-ups. 🍻

tigeo

Autocross Champion

View attachment 273168

Props to you for taking a wagon this far and flogging it at the big boy tracks. 💪😎

Dropped my son off at school in it today...really does both pretty well but I'm at that limit now where you really can't do much more to it and maintain a car that is daily-able. I have more in me with practice at the track for sure and stickier tires of course are always helpful but it's really fun just like it is right now.

19birel

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
What phone mount are you using? I picked one up for the event and the phone flew out leaving the hotel parking lot lol

tigeo

Autocross Champion
What phone mount are you using? I picked one up for the event and the phone flew out leaving the hotel parking lot lol
Proclip.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

View attachment 273168

I just picked up a Simpson Hybrid S as well.

I figured, with my 4-point harness, if I have an accident, my body and my head/neck won't decell at the same speeds and there is a chance of damaging my neck.

IMG_2954(1).JPG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I had the same thought for this year, and even with an ASM schroth harness you still want to avoid any extra movement of your head and neck.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had the same thought for this year, and even with an ASM schroth harness you still want to avoid any extra movement of your head and neck.
I feel better having it as does my family - all the justification I need. And this will work with a Schroth...the Hybrid S basically works with anything and that's why it's expensive.