GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel leak help

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hi folks, I've been smelling raw fuel in the cabin when at a standstill, moving slowly, or with the AC on for a while now (and coolant, but that's another story, I'm having the heater core replaced later this week). Today I finally found the problem – there's a leak coming from around a nut on the fuel line running into the side of the intake manifold (at least, that's what I think it is), right below the PCV valve and behind the actuator (looking from the front of the engine). You can just about see the nut where the leak is coming from in these pictures, it's gold in color and is in the center. The leak is bad, with the engine running, there's about one drop per second coming out.

My question is, if I tighten this nut, will it solve it and if so, how do I get to it? Can I remove the actuator thingy to get to it...? Or, should I take this to my mechanic (an hour's drive away)?

And lastly, I've had some fairly major work done to the car in the last few thousand miles that I think could relate to / have caused this – walnut blasting, both fuel pumps replaced, water pump and housing replaced. The fuel smell has gradually gotten worse since then, although I don't recall suddenly smelling it for the first time after any of that work. Should I be having words with the mechanic who did that work, given that a fuel leak is pretty dangerous, or is this something that could just happen over time...? Seems like quite a coincidence to me... I'm at ~106k miles.

Thanks to anyone who can help and apologies for the unforgivably grimy engine bay.

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpg
    IMG_6184.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6185.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,582

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Whomever did that work fucked up the hardline from the HPFP to the fuel rail. Stop driving it because it could easily catch on fire.
Roger that

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
1. It wasn't tightened fully. Best case.
2. They cross-threaded either the rail or the line. Worst case.
Fingers crossed for wasn't tightened, I guess. Mechanic who did the work was apologetic, said he has been dealing with some family illness and may have taken his eye off the ball... he's offered to send a tow truck tomorrow morning and will put it right. Getting my car back will involve a one-hour cab ride to pick it up which I'd obviously rather avoid, but I don't see how I can get to this bolt to attempt tighten it myself and see if that solves it... unless anyone can shed any light on that? Could it be as simple as pulling the intake and moving things out of the way...?

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
ive got a spare fuel rail with the brass fitting and possibly a hard line if you want to snag it. Message me Ill let it go fairly cheap.
Wow thanks that's very kind of you, I should hear more tomorrow and if it does need replacing, I'll likely give you a shout. Cheers!

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I might as well add to this thread that this is a relatively early build 2015 car – Autobahn with sunroof (no issues except for the tiny bit of water that appears in the passenger side visor mirror when it pours hard with rain? And only there, which is weird) – and I've had none of the issues that people talk about a lot with 2015s, and I bought it used at 60k miles (from Toyota dealership who thought it was a base model and got it for an absolute steal). BUT owning it past 100k miles? Oof. Suddenly, just after 100k, I've had to replace the water pump, water pump housing, HPFP, LPFP, the driver's door lock mechanism, heater core, passenger window switch... it's not been that much fun. But I'm still on the original turbo, and I've done as much preventative stuff as I can and fully intend to drive the wheels off this thing. Currently on EQT's stage 2 93 oct tune and it runs great. I will get it to 200k. I will.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Wow thanks that's very kind of you, I should hear more tomorrow and if it does need replacing, I'll likely give you a shout. Cheers!
Hey @Warfe-Motorsports just wanted to say thanks again for the offer, turns out it was a seal gone bad so thankfully for me, no rail to replace. But thanks again for the offer! 👍🏻