GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel leak from charcoal canister system - 2015

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
On the way home I was getting some random hiccups and sputters from the car...Once parked found a fuel leak coming from the charcoal canister and its leaking from the spot listed in the pic below. Car is not throwing any codes and fuel tank is showing correct fuel level and there is no leaks inside the car around the pump area. Any ideas on what could cause this and what needs to be replaced?

Thanks!!!

Screenshot 2022-08-03 171043.png

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Turns out this is due to a faulty suction pump that was part of a recall that unfortunately my car does not quality for. Dealer's solution is to replace the fuel tank + charcoal canister + n80 valve and charge ~$2500. The part failure that caused this is only cost $30, and apparently can be done DIY. Ordered the part and going to attempt to fix this. Charcoal canister remove it and hang it upside down and let it empty out, should still be fine according to online forums.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
cool..sucks the dealer is car-ramrod-ing about a know faulty part. Let us know if you successful. Dealer probably assumes you overfilled the tank and caused a failure...

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
There’s a thread on the vortex about this. Draining the fuel won’t salvage a charcoal canister. Once the charcoal has absorbed fuel to the point of liquid it needs replacement.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Turns out this is due to a faulty suction pump that was part of a recall that unfortunately my car does not quality for. Dealer's solution is to replace the fuel tank + charcoal canister + n80 valve and charge ~$2500. The part failure that caused this is only cost $30, and apparently can be done DIY. Ordered the part and going to attempt to fix this. Charcoal canister remove it and hang it upside down and let it empty out, should still be fine according to online forums.
Could you please share the part number you‘ve ordered?

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Could this be cover by the PZEV warranty in California?
Worth looking into as it probably is considered an emissions part, good call dude...

:begin rant: As califonia emissions regulation is why we have the shitty gas can spouts now...:end rant. Gas tanks and cans farting is why global warming exists...hence they need to be captured in a canister...

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I would assume being in southern California, you would have a handful of dealers in relative driving distance...second opinion on whether the TSB/recall applies?

Last edited:

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Curious why it doesn't qualify. My 2015 GTI had this done right when the recall was released.
If the car was stock I would of pushed harder to get it done under warranty, but since the car is highly modified and has a different fuel pump in the tank, I'm sure they will try to get out of it. So far I'm in ~$530 in parts (suction pump, evap canister, n80 valve) and however long it will take me to get it done.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If the car was stock I would of pushed harder to get it done under warranty, but since the car is highly modified and has a different fuel pump in the tank, I'm sure they will try to get out of it. So far I'm in ~$530 in parts (suction pump, evap canister, n80 valve) and however long it will take me to get it done.
Yeah, that different fuel pump could be a real issue. I thought that I remember it being a recall, which tend to be safety related, and they can't really turn you down, but the aftermarket fuel pump makes it a different conversation haha. Good luck with it!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Yeah, that different fuel pump could be a real issue. I thought that I remember it being a recall, which tend to be safety related, and they can't really turn you down, but the aftermarket fuel pump makes it a different conversation haha. Good luck with it!
infomation that would have good to know in the start of the thread....