GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Economy When Tuned

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Wow, is there something wrong with my car?! EQT stage 2 Golf R, I get about 15mpg around town (often lower) and on a long highway trip I think I once saw it go as high as 24mpg? But definitely never better than that.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Wow, is there something wrong with my car?! EQT stage 2 Golf R, I get about 15mpg around town (often lower) and on a long highway trip I think I once saw it go as high as 24mpg? But definitely never better than that.
I cleaned my air filter and found a non ethanol blend 91 on my eqt and eeked out 31mpg on the highway. On winter gas blends I’m doing 28 at best. I do occasional pulls nothing crazy.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
do you shift when eco tips tells you to?
I can't say that I do, no

Should be easy to make 30 on the highway unless you're cruising over 80. Might be worth looking into.
Yeah that's probably part of it. I avoid highways as much as possible but definitely cruise over 80 when I do use them

I cleaned my air filter and found a non ethanol blend 91 on my eqt and eeked out 31mpg on the highway. On winter gas blends I’m doing 28 at best. I do occasional pulls nothing crazy.
I too will clean my cone one day. My mechanic told me at the end of the summer that I didn't really need to rotate my tires because I was using the rear tires for grip as much as the fronts... which I guess probably isn't the result of an economical driving style

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
So now that my car is finally registered an I've gone through about half a tank of fuel I can give my initial findings!

Average thus far with mixed driving (mostly backroads and city, with a couple highway trips mixed in) 23.5mpg. I've been driving this thing like I stole it almost the entire time so I'm very impressed by this, driving same roads in my A4 at similar pace would have my A4 averaging ~18mpg for reference.

On one of the highway drives, It managed 34.5 MPG at ~75mph, my A4 would be sitting around 22-24mpg on that same stretch of road at comparable speeds.

The car is still very much stock, we'll see how things progress with tuning

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Oh god you woke cunts. It’s an expression meaning you drive very easily and never floor the car or drive it spiritedly.

I don’t go through clutches and also don’t launch my car.
How would you know how I drive my car? Lol noob.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
So now that my car is finally registered an I've gone through about half a tank of fuel I can give my initial findings!

Average thus far with mixed driving (mostly backroads and city, with a couple highway trips mixed in) 23.5mpg. I've been driving this thing like I stole it almost the entire time so I'm very impressed by this, driving same roads in my A4 at similar pace would have my A4 averaging ~18mpg for reference.

On one of the highway drives, It managed 34.5 MPG at ~75mph, my A4 would be sitting around 22-24mpg on that same stretch of road at comparable speeds.

The car is still very much stock, we'll see how things progress with tuning
What motor was in your A4?

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
What motor was in your A4?
It has a EA888.2 2.0T (slightly upgraded version of what MK6 GTI got) once upon a time it would get 27-31mpg on the highway depending on speed but lately it's been pretty bad. People keep telling me it's the roof rack, but I'm not convinced that's the primary cause. I'll probably pull the rack off soon though and see what happens

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It has a EA888.2 2.0T (slightly upgraded version of what MK6 GTI got) once upon a time it would get 27-31mpg on the highway depending on speed but lately it's been pretty bad. People keep telling me it's the roof rack, but I'm not convinced that's the primary cause. I'll probably pull the rack off soon though and see what happens
Could be due for a carbon cleaning.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Could be due for a carbon cleaning.
It actually just got one at 95k miles (currently at 116k) though it wasn't terrible when I did it. I also installed meth injection shortly after which should theoretically slow down future buildup to some extent.

I was thinking fuel filter perhaps?