GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Economy When Tuned

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Hey all,

I wanted to ask what kind of highway fuel economy you guys have been getting when tuned. Stock these cars are pretty darn efficient, so I'm curious how much that drops once the power starts to get turned up. It would be nice if the car could still be a fuel sipper even with a bigger turbo as long as one's right foot wasn't too heavy haha.

Post your mods and highway mpg!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
MPG is dependent on fuel type and your right foot. Mods in the sig and if I'm not in boost, I'll get 35 highway MPG.

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
MPG is depending on fuel type and your right foot. Mods in the sig and if I'm not in boost, I'll get 35 highway MPG.
35 is pretty darn good!

Yeah I figure economy goes out the window on E85, but that's great for 93 octane. My A4 gets 22-25mpg haha so I suspect the GTI may end up becoming the primary roadtrip car lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
E85 OTS tune: 17-19 mpg no matter what I did or how hard I tried
93 hpfp OTS tune: pulled 32 mpg on the highway this morning on 32 mile trip with 1/4 being city driving

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
E85 OTS tune: 17-19 mpg no matter what I did or how hard I tried
93 hpfp OTS tune: pulled 32 mpg on the highway this morning on 32 mile trip with 1/4 being city driving
That's pretty solid on the 93 tune! that E85 mileage is rough haha
Getting something like 17 mpg, driving like a lunatic as much as possible.
Hey, as long as the smiles per gallon are up that's what matters in the end!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
When new I was getting 32 combined, now I get 34. No I do not baby it everywhere I go. She gets woke up whenever traffic permits and the area is safe enough.

Car setup in my sig but basically an IS38 car with big IC and other goodies, still on stock fuel system though.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
That's pretty solid on the 93 tune! that E85 mileage is rough haha

Hey, as long as the smiles per gallon are up that's what matters in the end!
Yeah it’s just for fun. I found a m2 last night with temp tags and they couldn’t keep up, lol.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Yeah it’s just for fun. I found a m2 last night with temp tags and they couldn’t keep up, lol.
I pulled away from an M2 myself just the other day. He was there beside me for the first couple of seconds lol.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I get 33mpg pretty reliably at the pump, mixed city and highway. Tunes and even turbo upgrades shouldn't have a negative impact on gas mileage over the long run.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
When new I was getting 32 combined, now I get 34. No I do not baby it everywhere I go. She gets woke up whenever traffic permits and the area is safe enough.

Car setup in my sig but basically an IS38 car with big IC and other goodies, still on stock fuel system though.
This is very encouraging, I didn't buy the car to be economical but I'm very pleased to know I'll have at least one car that's good on gas haha

I pulled away from an M2 myself just the other day. He was there beside me for the first couple of seconds lol.
This talk of taking down M2s is also exciting, my dad has an F22 M235i with a JB+ and it walks away from my Audi haha excited to eventually turn the tables with the GTI 😅

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
33 on the highway, 25 in the city, EQT stage 1 ECU/TCU on 93. I used to get a little better highway mileage before the tune at 72K miles, now at 96K. I've done chemical valve cleanings every other 5K oil change, but the manifold has never been off. A blast or scrape may get that back, but it's not worth it to me at this point.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Honestly I don't see why anyone thinks they can compare MPG this way. What does "highway" and "city" mean? That can be drastically different things to different people and almost surely don't line up with the EPA's strict testing definitions. For some people, "city" is cruising through town at slow speeds. For others, it's a bunch of stop-and-go traffic or short trips. Similarly, "highway" can be 65mph or 80mph. Huge differences. These comparisons are pretty useless IMO.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
34-37 highway and 27 local. If I’m doing occasional pulls, forget about it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Honestly I don't see why anyone thinks they can compare MPG this way. What does "highway" and "city" mean? That can be drastically different things to different people and almost surely don't line up with the EPA's strict testing definitions. For some people, "city" is cruising through town at slow speeds. For others, it's a bunch of stop-and-go traffic or short trips. Similarly, "highway" can be 65mph or 80mph. Huge differences. These comparisons are pretty useless IMO.

for most, "city" equates to stop and go.....not a constant cruise in a city, but yes....the term can be subjective. I think the majority relate it to stop/go traffic, whereas "highway" is constant cruising at highway speeds, regardless of 55 or 75 mph.

Let's all just admit, we're not trying to make our GTIs look and act like someone trying to milk 50+ mpg