GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel DI Injector Failure vs Upgrade? @480whp

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Going through the exact same thing right now. My shop pushed me to Nostrum before I went to MPI (they're local and share their dyno).
Looked into them and Cobb can tune them but the cost/headache of the aftermarket HPFP vs. the benefits of MPI didn't make sense to me. Don't know of anyone using them but I would guess idle control is worse (normal on PI-only cars with big injectors).
Just replacing mine with the latest revision audi part number. Something that can hold up to ethanol longer would be nice though.
The cost of the MPI would be a lot more than the HPFP.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The cost of the MPI would be a lot more than the HPFP.
Nostrum wants you to use their HPFP with their injectors which is like $900 on top of the additional cost for injectors (almost $1k for a set). Even comparing an autotech + nostrum DI to MPI, you'd be pretty comparable on cost but have more fuel headroom + cleaning benefits from PI. Just doesn't make sense unless you just really like sticking to DI (which is strange on a platform so well-prepared for secondary PI).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nostrum wants you to use their HPFP with their injectors which is like $900 on top of the additional cost for injectors (almost $1k for a set). Even comparing an autotech + nostrum DI to MPI, you'd be pretty comparable on cost but have more fuel headroom + cleaning benefits from PI. Just doesn't make sense unless you just really like sticking to DI (which is strange on a platform so well-prepared for secondary PI).
What's the reason you have to use the Nostrum injectors?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
You don't? But OP was curious about them (and allegedly they allow more flow than the stock ones, which would be a bottleneck after the HPFP).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You don't? But OP was curious about them (and allegedly they allow more flow than the stock ones, which would be a bottleneck after the HPFP).
I don't understand that. I'm running the stock injectors and a HPFP with 416 HP without any fueling issues. I do agree the Nostrum injectors are high quality and would consider getting them if I needed injectors.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have the nostrum pump, it’s just the autotech internal…the just do the work for you, and engrave the pump cap with their logo.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It’s probably relevant to note that they even created these Injectors for the gen1 and 2 e888s Because mpi was not an option so everyone was having to do port injection meth to get the fueling needed for big turbos/hybrid, which puts you in a risky situation should the meth setup fail ( which happens easily, considering the pump are just Glorified fish tank pumps lol)

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
$945... Shit. I'll build you guys pumps all day for that.

Haha, yeah it’s probably why they don’t sell many! I got mine from someone in the marketplace for a great price… but considering the serial number and by that time they had been listing them for over a year I’d say sales are limited 😂

image.jpg

Also… that photobomb of the storage shelf 😂😂

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Ed at EQT said he can tune the nostrum DI injectors on COBB but nobody really has much experience with them it seems. If I hear back from Ed at EQT quickly I'll have him do them but I don't want to be an "early adopter" otherwise.

I didn't realize that ethanol fuel actually lacks lubricity (sp?) and other issues that wear the stock injectors out faster, or that's what I'm hearing.

my plan with this car was always just push the car until the stock injectors are the limit and leave it alone, but otherwise I would have certainly gone MPI. I'm not that serious with this GTI though and 400-420whp is hilarious on the street and the sweet spot on these cars imo, which is right around when the stock injectors run out on E50 fuel.

so I'll probably just replace the OEM injectors, have walnut blast done while intake manifold is off, and maybe take like .5psi of boost out of the car or something so I'm not quite so close to the edge of the injectors.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Haha, yeah it’s probably why they don’t sell many! I got mine from someone in the marketplace for a great price… but considering the serial number and by that time they had been listing them for over a year I’d say sales are limited 😂

View attachment 217057

Also… that photobomb of the storage shelf 😂😂

that z28 looks fkkin awesome too!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Ed at EQT said he can tune the nostrum DI injectors on COBB but nobody really has much experience with them it seems. If I hear back from Ed at EQT quickly I'll have him do them but I don't want to be an "early adopter" otherwise.

I didn't realize that ethanol fuel actually lacks lubricity (sp?) and other issues that wear the stock injectors out faster, or that's what I'm hearing.

my plan with this car was always just push the car until the stock injectors are the limit and leave it alone, but otherwise I would have certainly gone MPI. I'm not that serious with this GTI though and 400-420whp is hilarious on the street and the sweet spot on these cars imo, which is right around when the stock injectors run out on E50 fuel.

so I'll probably just replace the OEM injectors, have walnut blast done while intake manifold is off, and maybe take like .5psi of boost out of the car or something so I'm not quite so close to the edge of the injectors.
There are fuel additives you can use that supposedly prolong injector/pump life on ethanol. Definitely wise to leave some fueling headroom.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Seems like best choice.
"Runs like a dream" = leave it alone and just enjoy it at a very usable power level.