GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FSB diy and alignment

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I picked up a SuperPro RSB and FSB kit. - However I also have a Redshift coil over kit coming, hopefully by end of month.
I wanted to go ahead and throw the rear bar on - nbd I can handle it and I plan to do that this weekend.
The front bar however is a bit more involved, and I bought the necessary bolts. I have the tools to do it however I wasn't really thinking through the process and am now realizing that I'll need an alignment after

So 3 questions - Those that have DIY'ed your FSB
1. Did you get an alignment?
2. Or is there a way to mark the Front Subframe location and aim back for that when re-installing?
3. Should I just wait to do the FSB until I do the coilovers? - do them at the same time and just have a single alignment..

You know how it goes. I'm excited to install stuff but I also don't want to spend on re-do's of tasks where it can be easily avoided.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Yeah, you’d want an alignment after FSB install - if you had any desire for LCAs or a dead set kit, now would be the time for them. The dead set kit may help, but I’m not sure it’s a guarantee

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Yeah, you’d want an alignment after FSB install - if you had any desire for LCAs or a dead set kit, now would be the time for them. The dead set kit may help, but I’m not sure it’s a guarantee
I’ll do bushings at some point but it’s not on deck real soon

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Yes, you should do an alignment afterwards. I would also be looking into getting a deadset kit at this time as well.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I picked up a SuperPro RSB and FSB kit. - However I also have a Redshift coil over kit coming, hopefully by end of month.
I wanted to go ahead and throw the rear bar on - nbd I can handle it and I plan to do that this weekend.
The front bar however is a bit more involved, and I bought the necessary bolts. I have the tools to do it however I wasn't really thinking through the process and am now realizing that I'll need an alignment after

So 3 questions - Those that have DIY'ed your FSB
1. Did you get an alignment?
2. Or is there a way to mark the Front Subframe location and aim back for that when re-installing?
3. Should I just wait to do the FSB until I do the coilovers? - do them at the same time and just have a single alignment..

You know how it goes. I'm excited to install stuff but I also don't want to spend on re-do's of tasks where it can be easily avoided.

If you are not restricted by any racing organization rules on a deadset kit, I would recommend getting one, even one like the 034 kit. This will help in getting the subframe fairly centered, but you would still need an alignment after. Another option is the VW pin tool to help keep things aligned and centered, but again an alignment should be done.

My vote is wait on the front and do it all at once as well.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Planning to wait.
Do you have a part number for the pin tool? Interested to see how it works.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Planning to wait.
Do you have a part number for the pin tool? Interested to see how it works.

T10096

I do not know how they work, I've only seen diagrams of them in the factory service manual for the subframe work.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
T10096

I do not know how they work, I've only seen diagrams of them in the factory service manual for the subframe work.
oh wow that's pretty smart. It looks like the little collar compresses to let the sub frame slide over. Seems like a solid solution. $50 seems a taaaad steep. But maybe they can be found cheaper elsewhere.

This shows in detail how they're used. I think the design sort of speaks for itself. Still could be helpful if someone comes across this later.

Reactions: krs