GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front windows rattle when partially open

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
When my windows are partially open, they rattle. It's not really a major issue, but depending on the road can be a bit annoying. They don't rattle when fully closed or fully open. Anyone know what the issue is? Car is CPO so I'll probably go that route, but would like to educate myself on the issue first, assuming it's a known/common issue.

Update: I believe this has been solved with just some regular maintenance. Sprayed silicone lube into the vertical window tracks and rattles are 99% gone (for now).

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
thats always been my experience in MK7's unfortunately. just some sort of design feature with the guides not being tensioned in place, or something like that i figure.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
This happens all the time or only when going, say, 60+ mph?

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
That makes more sense. I'm 4dr. Longer 2 Dr vehicles traditionally have issues with doors and windows. Older cars like the Riviera had door sag problems.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Ehhh kinda was able to capture it. Gotta crank the volume, and was easier for me to hear it on headphones. Sounds like any other rattle or tick, but only happens when the windows are partially open. Passenger side is a bigger offender than the driver side, but both windows do it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
OH! I WILL say, when the windows are partially down, my remedy is to touch them back up just a hair and then they are fine. If you just put them down without the little touch back up they rattle.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
OH! I WILL say, when the windows are partially down, my remedy is to touch them back up just a hair and then they are fine. If you just put them down without the little touch back up they rattle.
I tried exactly that! It works for a few minutes then they rattle again. It's almost like something in the mechanism is slightly loose so right after moving them up or down the mechanism is tight, then slowly loosens up as you drive.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
damn! works a treat for me, at least i forget about it after doing it lol.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Ehhh kinda was able to capture it. Gotta crank the volume, and was easier for me to hear it on headphones. Sounds like any other rattle or tick, but only happens when the windows are partially open. Passenger side is a bigger offender than the driver side, but both windows do it.
Wow. That is annoying... You tried taking the door card off and seeing if anything is loose?