GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Sway Bar. Is it worth it?

ModdedMK7.5

Car(s)
2018 MK7.5 GTI
So I've been wanting to upgrade the front sway bar to correspond or match up with the rear sway bar. Currently, I'm using Whiteline Suspension's rear sway bar and rear & front sway bar endlinks. I recently got their front control arms and front ball joints to add on. I'm aware that the subframe has to be lowered in order to install the front control arms. But, since I'm dropping the subframe I thought I might as well get the front sway bar installed while I'm at it. However, I wondered if it's actually effective and worth spending the extra money on it? Any information is appreciated!

Many thanks!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So I've been wanting to upgrade the front sway bar to correspond or match up with the rear sway bar. Currently, I'm using Whiteline Suspension's rear sway bar and rear & front sway bar endlinks. I recently got their front control arms and front ball joints to add on. I'm aware that the subframe has to be lowered in order to install the front control arms. But, since I'm dropping the subframe I thought I might as well get the front sway bar installed while I'm at it. However, I wondered if it's actually effective and worth spending the extra money on it? Any information is appreciated!

Many thanks!
100% yes

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes. No....it won't increase understeer....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I hit on the FSB in my video here:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Ran mine with some extra negative camber and it made the car significantly more fun to drive.

If you’re buying a front sway bar - I’ll have one cleaned up for sale soon. It’s off the car, just needs to be shipped. It’s an H&R 26mm.

ModdedMK7.5

Car(s)
2018 MK7.5 GTI
Ran mine with some extra negative camber and it made the car significantly more fun to drive.

If you’re buying a front sway bar - I’ll have one cleaned up for sale soon. It’s off the car, just needs to be shipped. It’s an H&R 26mm.
Keep me posted on that front sway bar! I'll be more than glad to buy it off from you!

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Keep me posted on that front sway bar! I'll be more than glad to buy it off from you!
Will get it cleaned tonight and send you a few pictures.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
1677255879910.png

Definitely worth it - less dynamic camber loss.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
View attachment 274164

Definitely worth it - less dynamic camber loss.
My pic isn't as good as yours but similar outcome if you can imagine the photo angle as being the same. Basically this should make it so you don't need to add as much static camber b/c you won't loose as much during turns. It's interesting you have a wheel up in the before-FSB pic.

FSB.jpg

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
My pic isn't as good as yours but similar outcome if you can imagine the photo angle as being the same. Basically this should make it so you don't need to add as much static camber b/c you won't loose as much during turns. It's interesting you have a wheel up in the before-FSB

Once the wheel goes up it's no longer contributing to roll stiffness (just raising COG).

The key takeaway is this may happen at different times with different inputs. A stiffer RSB will add the stiffness sooner, but max out and lift earlier on corner entry. Works great for adjusting corner entry sensitivity for trail braking purposes.

Making the RF tire happier = better than two pissed off tires losing camber to body roll generally speaking.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I can definitely see the difference. How does it feel when cornering hard? Stiff? Planted?

It's not bad at all. I have the 26mm bar on the "soft" setting. I'm skeptical that on the stiffer setting it'll help more than hurt but I intend to test that in May if the weather cooperates.

The main thing it does IMO is allows the car to note "dive" onto the outside front tire. The car as a whole will "tilt" more evenly front vs back than with a rear bar only.

26mm on soft is about +35% stiffness vs stock, hard is about +65% over stock.

This is what I calculated based on measuring them myself (I do still need to physically measure the OEM front bar to confirm 100% but the stock reference should be very close).

This is why I went with 26/26 vs the "recommended" by H&R 28/26 or 26/24. I wanted to add more roll stiffness to the rear than the front.

Attachments

• Swaybar summary snip.JPG
    Swaybar summary snip.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 47