GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front spring SNAPPED going through a pot hole...

Benrawr

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI GT
Just doing 30mph in my village, went through a few fairly shallow pot holes in a row and suddenly heard a loud rattling... Pulled over, couldn't see anything obvious, so kept on driving trying to figure it out. It eventually flung out when doing 50 so I stopped and picked it up. It now drives surprisingly fine despite the somewhat terrifying picture.

My problem is I can't find the exact replacements online as I've got the lowered GT/highline. Since I've had leaking shocks since I bought the car I'm going to replace the lot - now I'm wondering whether to just get a Bilstein set for all corners.

Anybody have a better recommendation or just the OEM specs I need?

Many many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_141300__01.jpg
    IMG_20210331_141300__01.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I see, this wouldn't of happened if you drove on the correct side of the road, lol.
Wow, there is no rust or anything, just a nice clean snap. Good luck, I'd stay with stock replacements. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with a part number.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
My mk6 gti broke a rear spring. Was told this was fairly common at the time. Haven't heard of this being an issue on mk7s yet though.

If you're replacing struts and springs anyway, if you have any desire to increase performance now would be the time to go coilovers - you'll spend more to get good ones, but the Delta won't be too huge.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Standard over here in the UK..they snap on the lower section where the spring on the first coil goes over the "ramp"..all depends on the spring platform design.

Get the parts for a local VW dealers parts dept, just give them your numberplate.

If you want to get aftermarket springs they will be about a least 15mm lower than your factory GT ones, & you will have to declare this mod to your insurance.

If you want aftermarket dampers either Bilstein or Koni FSD (Actives??)....

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7