GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front/Rear Emblems for 2018 GTI

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was hoping some one could help me with this. I purchased (on EBAY) some nice front & rear carbon filter emblems for my 2018 GTI. Although I can't get the back emblem to completely "click" into place it does seem to fit I think, but the front (unless I'm clueless!) does not seem like it will work. That is because the stock front emblem seems to be all one piece with a clear plastic coat as a top layer. Am I wrong? Is the 2018 different from the 2017? And has anyone purchased for the 2018? Thanks.

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Actually, I thought I read somewhere that it was behind the front mirror, but I could be mistaken!
Do you mean the rear view mirror in the cabin? It has a camera in front of it that works along with DAP, but the radar is in the emblem.

To give you a better idea, here is a 2015 GTI with DAP. Note the (ugly) cutout in the radiator area for the radar:
https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/di...ides/344/942/3/S3449423/slug/l/img-4928-1.jpg

All golf/gti’s were like that till the 2018 model year when they changed it. Yours does not have that cutout. Now this next pic is obviously not a gti, but it gives you an idea of how they work now:
https://goo.gl/images/bLV1kR

A lot of other mfg’s have moved to hiding the radar behind a smooth emblem in recent years. It cleans up the front end while also offering some level of protection to the module. Mazda, Mercedes and Lexus immediately come to mind, I’m positive there are others. Just to be clear, don’t attempt to mess with the emblem if you want DAP to work.

Last edited:

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you mean the rear view mirror in the cabin? It has a camera in front of it that works along with DAP, but the radar is in the emblem.

To give you a better idea, here is a 2015 GTI with DAP. Note the (ugly) cutout in the radiator area for the radar:
https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/di...ides/344/942/3/S3449423/slug/l/img-4928-1.jpg

All golf/gti’s were like that till the 2018 model year when they changed it. Yours does not have that cutout. Now this next pic is obviously not a gti, but it gives you an idea of how they work now:
https://goo.gl/images/bLV1kR

A lot of other mfg’s have moved to hiding the radar behind a smooth emblem in recent years. It cleans up the front end while also offering some level of protection to the module. Mazda, Mercedes and Lexus immediately come to mind, I’m positive there are others. Just to be clear, don’t attempt to mess with the emblem if you want DAP to work.

Thanks for your input!

izzulap

I purchased the carbon fiber emblem for my 7.5 rear hatch and it did not fit/I’m not smart enough to get it to be fully secured. I followed DAP guide on doing it but it seems like the fittings on my new emblem are not long enough to reach past the under piece of the vw emblem. Is this a common problem or am I having more difficulty than usual? I already contacted the eBay seller and asked about the length of the clips. The emblem sort of fits without the inside piece but still is kind of loose at the top, and with the piece the only spot that fits correctly is the center clip on the V in VW

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
I purchased the carbon fiber emblem for my 7.5 rear hatch and it did not fit/I’m not smart enough to get it to be fully secured. I followed DAP guide on doing it but it seems like the fittings on my new emblem are not long enough to reach past the under piece of the vw emblem. Is this a common problem or am I having more difficulty than usual? I already contacted the eBay seller and asked about the length of the clips. The emblem sort of fits without the inside piece but still is kind of loose at the top, and with the piece the only spot that fits correctly is the center clip on the V in VW

Same with mine! I just left it like that and it hasn't fallen off yet! I don't want to bang it hard too many times because I fear breaking the rear camera!

izzulap

Same with mine! I just left it like that and it hasn't fallen off yet! I don't want to bang it hard too many times because I fear breaking the rear camera!

I gave up, I plasti dipped the inside piece and the original emblem and it looks just fine. Just with it would have been glossy, Ill post pictures tomorrow

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
those OEM emblems looked so clean
now they look like Autozone specials

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I find the front emblem on my 2017 just a bit too in your face....the size and shiny are more than I like. Hopefully we'll have a secret santa again this year