GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front quarter panel window tinting

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have scheduled an appointment to have my windows tinted and before I could even ask about the front quarter windows (by the side mirrors), the shop told me they can’t tint those unless I remove the molding allowing easier access. Does anyone know how this could be done? The windows are recessed pretty far into the molding and I don’t have a clue how to begin removing this.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
i got mine done the guy was able to lay it kind of in there with a squeegee and a microfiber and able to lay it flat mostly...no creases or anything

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
My installer was able to apply them without removing trim.
Lady installer so smaller hands maybe.
She did break a couple tools and cussed a little.
A good shop can tint anything.

Options.
1. Some have just applied matte black wrap to the outside of the window.
2. Check some other shops until you find one who can do it.

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, he wasn’t willing to touch it at all. So there is no hope of him tinting then unless I can provide easier access to them first. Also just found instructions for going about removing the A pillar molding but it looks a bit too involved for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
My installer was able to apply them without removing trim.
Lady installer so smaller hands maybe.
She did break a couple tools and cussed a little.
A good shop can tint anything.

Options.
1. Some have just applied matte black wrap to the outside of the window.
2. Check some other shops until you find one who can do it.

He did mention applying some sort of vinyl wrap instead, but I’m worried about how this will look. I have checked around. The problem is that there aren’t really many in the area and this shop has the highest reviews by far. It’s hard to find places in Pennsylvania given the fact that tinting isn’t even legal here.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
When I got my GTI done I had to call around town.

I talked to about 5 places that would absolutely not do it and one that would but charges a little extra.

It's worth the extra to me to have it look right, so I will be taking my R back to the same place.

I believe he has modified a couple tools to make it more feasible.

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
I had to call around town. I talked to about 5 places that would absolutely not do it and one that would but charges a little extra. It's worth the extra to me to have it look right.

I’d like it to look right too, but I don’t really have any other options unless I search out of state and/or several hours away.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Hey, I got mine done with the tint, they were not happy about it. But i had to pay a little more for those windows. Looks great. No complains from me. They said they could do vinyl easier but i wanted tint all around so I paid more. I would go to another tint shop OP

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Hey, I got mine done with the tint, they were not happy about it. But i had to pay a little more for those windows. Looks great. No complains from me. They said they could do vinyl easier but i wanted tint all around so I paid more. I would go to another tint shop OP

Edit: i'm in the philly area got the percent I asked for [emoji6]

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
I just left mine non-tinted. Even I don't notice.

Here is the best pic I have to show the non-tinted window. The rest of the car is 18% all around.

Attachments

• img20180509_142817.jpg
    img20180509_142817.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 1,185

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
I just left mine non-tinted. Even I don't notice.

Here is the best pic I have to show the non-tinted window. The rest of the car is 18% all around.

I’ll probably just go this route unless the wrap actually looks good. But we’ll see. It definitely isn’t that noticeable. Thanks for the picture!