GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mounted intercooler

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Don't get this one. I refuse to support or encourage anyone to support this company. They're very shady and customer service is awful.

Support enthusiasts such as Jake as recommended by others. Many use his FMIC kit and rave about it. While it may be more expensive than some OTS items, you can be sure you're getting quality and supporting the community, and he is very active is supporting other members as well. When I can afford to go stage 2, I will be buying his FMIC and downpipe for my car.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I love Baun Performance's FMIC. Killer quality

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Don't get this one. I refuse to support or encourage anyone to support this company. They're very shady and customer service is awful.
Nobody cares. It's $499 and it was designed specifically for our cars, with a lot of provided data to back up it's performance. I'm sure Jake's kit is great, but I'm pretty sure it's over $200 more and requires drilling your crash bar. It doesn't matter anyways, as the OP can't install a FMIC.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I got the ebay FMIC twincooler and boy was it a headache. The fit without the bumper was OK, and installation a breeze up to the moment the bumper had to go back on. Lots of dremel to be done on the back of the grille, try to fit the bumper, dremel some more... etc. I also goofed up and broke one of my headlight sprayer connections in the process since the hoses are THICCC. The pre-made kits from legit websites are probably worth the 200-300 extra bucks.

47784147222_522d8bd7ea_c.jpg

That being said, the end result was noticeable and the larger volume of air from the twincooler setup makes the diverter valve noises much more noticeable.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Support enthusiasts such as Jake as recommended by others. Many use his FMIC kit and rave about it. While it may be more expensive than some OTS items, you can be sure you're getting quality and supporting the community, and he is very active is supporting other members as well. When I can afford to go stage 2, I will be buying his FMIC and downpipe for my car.

I must be the only one who has had great service from ECS. They sent me the wrong brake pads and shipped out the correct ones and credited me for the incorrect ones before I returned them.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
At the end of the day, you can't please everyone. I've read the ECS horror stories. No company is perfect. Also, many people simply cannot be satisfied with ANY level of customer service. It is what it is.

DQ13

I got the ebay FMIC twincooler and boy was it a headache. The fit without the bumper was OK, and installation a breeze up to the moment the bumper had to go back on. Lots of dremel to be done on the back of the grille, try to fit the bumper, dremel some more... etc. I also goofed up and broke one of my headlight sprayer connections in the process since the hoses are THICCC. The pre-made kits from legit websites are probably worth the 200-300 extra bucks.

View attachment 162786

That being said, the end result was noticeable and the larger volume of air from the twincooler setup makes the diverter valve noises much more noticeable.
Looks great! No surprise that the eBay version isn’t a clean fit.

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
I must be the only one who has had great service from ECS. They sent me the wrong brake pads and shipped out the correct ones and credited me for the incorrect ones before I returned them.
I never had any issues with ECS at all, and I have bought parts for multiple VW's and BMW's from them for years and years.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I never had any issues with ECS at all, and I have bought parts for multiple VW's and BMW's from them for years and years.

I've never had a bad experience with ECS either.. I just read through their documentation, photos, testing, and installation docs for their FMIC and I'm really impressed. It looks like a nice offering, especially for the money. I like that they provide in-depth testing data.

Attachments

• PDF_23624_Volkswagen_MK7_Front_Mount_Intercooler_Testing_Results.pdf
    304.2 KB · Views: 141

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My grief with ECS isn't in their products or testing, it's with the culture of the company and shady business practices. I've been in their lobby twice waiting for them to install prototype parts on my car and each time I was there, there were employees in there who were going in to quit their job because of the toxic culture there. I talked to them about it and they got treated like shit and paid the same, and couldn't tolerate the management. As I sat waiting for my car to be finished, I saw my car leave the parking lot, squealing tires after the car was being worked on for two hours, ie oil was still cold. My own personal car being taken on a joyride under improper conditions without my consent for a test drive. I sat in the lobby with no receptionist and a phone that didn't work, and was told there would be wifi so I could work while waiting. I had to contact an employee I knew on facebook to get the wifi password because after I handed over my keys they walked away and didn't come back or give me contact info.

Many of the ECS marketing ploys had completely false claims and were covered up. I remember checking the html code on their Christmas "spin-to-win" wheel a couple years back and there was literally no possible way to win any gift car over 5 dollars, even though they advertised you could win up to $500 or something like that. The first car giveaway they did went to an ECS employee but that part of it was covered up.

For a while, there were reports of webcams at employees desks to spy on them and make sure they were always working, although the company has claimed to have stopped that after coming under new management. (reviews on glassdoor and indeed support that the culture is still toxic and hostile even after new mgmt).

I ordered an oil change kit from them and it was packaged so poorly that the jug of oil and burst open inside the box because there was nothing to keep it from sliding around in the oversized box. Luckily I didn't lose enough to where I couldn't perform the oil change. I live 20 minutes away and even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have been able to just drive there and get it resolved, I would have had to ship it back on my dime.

I know they're tiny things that wouldn't matter to most people, but to me that promotes dishonesty to the customer and I choose not to support them.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Many of the ECS marketing ploys had completely false claims and were covered up. I remember checking the html code on their Christmas "spin-to-win" wheel a couple years back and there was literally no possible way to win any gift car over 5 dollars, even though they advertised you could win up to $500 or something like that. The first car giveaway they did went to an ECS employee but that part of it was covered up....I know they're tiny things that wouldn't matter to most people, but to me that promotes dishonesty to the customer and I choose not to support them.

Wow, those aren't "tiny things" at all IMO! That all sounds ridiculous and I'd be furious. I had an alignment shop abuse my STI and will never forgive them. I looked into that spin-to-win wheel before too.. that's interesting and not really surprising that a car giveaway went to an employee. Unfortunately, that happens pretty often with those online/social media giveaways. I remember back in the early 2000s, when a local tuner shop had a car giveaway promo and just never gave one away. They shut down and disappeared a couple weeks later.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
It sounds like you're describing literally every other workplace in the world. Also Amazon ships 5L jugs of oil in a box, without any packaging. It was most likely the SHIPPER to blame for the oil bursting open. I've only ordered two things from ECS in the past and didn't have any issues.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It sounds like you're describing literally every other workplace in the world. Also Amazon ships 5L jugs of oil in a box, without any packaging. It was most likely the SHIPPER to blame for the oil bursting open. I've only ordered two things from ECS in the past and didn't have any issues.
I dunno man, I've never had any issues with management or webcams at my desk to watch my productivity at my place of employment. I've ordered plenty from them in the past too without any issues, but the difference between Amazon and ECS is that Amazon is much much bigger and handles way more packages daily. You would think hand packaged shipments from ECS would have at least a little care taken while packaging. I haven't been impressed with them and just wanted to explain why since so many people were wondering what my basis was. I've been very impressed with customer service from other companies, like USPMotorsports for example, who I've heard other people have had big issues with. Everyones experience is different with every company and all it takes is one bad thing to ruin their reputation for you.