GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mounted intercooler

DQ13

Hi everyone,
New here and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with giving their R a look of having a front mounted intercooler look (like attached MK6 photo) on their MK7?

I’ve always been a sucker for thag look, but I realize that the fans are mounted in front on the MK7 making it more difficult to achieve, right?

Ive bought my R back in March and just decided to join instead of creep. Local to the St. Louis area is anybody else is!

P.S. sorry if this is something posted elsewhere that I couldn’t find

Cheers,
David

578E07DA-01E2-4172-B3E3-AF1E85474571.jpeg

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Yes, there's multiple fmic options available. You can also upgrade to the magic or eBay special intercooler which has shown great results. Baun performance also has a wicked fmic setup.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
An aftermarket IC in the stock location actually has more volume than a FMIC. I agree an FMIC looks great but I'll take performance over looks.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
An aftermarket IC in the stock location actually has more volume than a FMIC. I agree an FMIC looks great but I'll take performance over looks.

But the front one gets more direct air and I understand works well.
Not sure which best but many track guys use both.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I would prefer GTI Jake's.
Odd they state power increase.
I always understood they would help prevent power loss (from heat), but not generate power.
Both have pros and cons.
Jakes is better quality but cost more and you gotta drill
Ecs is lower quality but it's mount without drilling

DQ13

Thanks everybody for the help/suggestions!

One thing I didn’t think about that may keep from doing this is the front collision warning sensor. Anybody have expierience in using a FMIC with this?

Also, for a FMIC are they in addition to the oem intercooler or do you remove the oem?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

One thing I didn’t think about that may keep from doing this is the front collision warning sensor. Anybody have expierience in using a FMIC with this?

Also, for a FMIC are they in addition to the oem intercooler or do you remove the oem?

No need to remove the OEM IC.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

if you have a pre-facelift car with front collision sensor then you cannot fit a front mount.

DQ13

if you have a pre-facelift car with front collision sensor then you cannot fit a front mount.
Yeah I found that a couple other places now. Seems like a few people have tried to remove it, but seems like a bit of a pain.

Guess I’ll go with a stand replacement when the time comes.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
My vote is for stock location. My car made 485 - 486 whp consistently with 4 pulls on the dyno. Each pull was practically on top of one another and that's with a crappy little blower the shop had for air flow. I posted my dyno graph in another thread.

DQ13

My vote is for stock location. My car made 485 - 486 whp consistently with 4 pulls on the dyno. Each pull was practically on top of one another and that's with a crappy little blower the shop had for air flow. I posted my dyno graph in another thread.
Yeah replacing the stock one makes most sense for my car now. I suppose the extra weight of an additional front mount is also a bit unnecessary.