GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front lighting/ Fog Lights issues

sg1988

Hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone had experience of, or knew causes for electrical problems. It is a 2009 and the front drivers fog light is staying on permanently. steering wheel is straight, cornering lights have been turned off in VCDS, the switch gear works all as normal, i.e. when front fogs are switched on the passenger side goes on and off with switch, but right stays on. I am chasing myself in circles here, not sure if there is an issue with the ECU, if it is controlled through the steering angle sensor, or how it is working. Just fed up of the issue but not to keen on going to the Stealership if i can help it. Also not keen on pulling the car apart but may have to if it is a broken wire causing a constant live to go to the unit, Is also throwing a bulb out warning, but all bulbs are intact and working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
are there any Fault codes coming up in VCDS? I know with the Transporters they have lighting issues due to faults with the body control module. Long gone are the days of a dodgy wire causing things to stay on. I would have thought the steering angle sensor would be the trigger, but the body control module might have a fault, equally I would have thought it would be something you could find out from VCDS.

Torqueflite

Hey sg1988, did you ever get your fog light issue solved? My car is having this exact same thing. My right fog turns on and off normal with the switch. But the left fog is always on with the switch off and key off and out of the ignition. I had to unplug the bulb so it wouldn't drain the battery.
I checked power and ground at the fog light plug, and ground was good, but had a constant 12v on the power wire. Pulled a wiring diagram and it shows the fog light switch inputs to the Body Control Module, then there are two separate 12v output wires from the BCM feeding each left and right fog light individually. I unplugged the connector at the BCM containing the left fog light wire and the fog turned off. Checked it's wire for short to power and it was ok. Probed the BCM pin for the left fog output, and there's a constant 12v.
So there must be an internal short to battery inside the BCM. Unless there's some screwy logic that's causing the BCM to output power on that left fog light wire. Anyone else run into this issue? I'm more than a bit anxious on what a BCM is worth at the dealer.

ericek565

Ready to race!
The best way to diagnose this issue to use VCDS like Bugsy said.
If you have someone who have the same car with fog lights try to swap BCM and you can see if the problem is in your BCM or it is somewhere else. (We do this swap often with my neighbour.)