GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front license plate bracket

cb1111

I put together an inexpensive option for a center mount without drilling. We've moved enough that I didn't want holes if we moved to a state without a front plate - and I was glad for my choice when Ohio eliminated the front plate requirement this year.

The metal bracket came from Amazon, and I combined it with a plastic plate backer (from the local parts store, I think) and two toggle bolts from Home Depot. I sprayed all the metal parts with Plastidip for cushioning and some rust protection. The bolts went through the lower grille openings and tightened to hold the whole assembly without damage.
View attachment 193612

View attachment 193613

View attachment 193614Interesting. Any idea of which Amazon bracket that was? It should be in your order history.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I put together an inexpensive option for a center mount without drilling. We've moved enough that I didn't want holes if we moved to a state without a front plate - and I was glad for my choice when Ohio eliminated the front plate requirement this year.

The metal bracket came from Amazon, and I combined it with a plastic plate backer (from the local parts store, I think) and two toggle bolts from Home Depot. I sprayed all the metal parts with Plastidip for cushioning and some rust protection. The bolts went through the lower grille openings and tightened to hold the whole assembly without damage.

Very impressive! Got a link for the plate backer?

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Great. Thanks. I assume it has been holding up well.

Yep, outside of a little rust on the Allen-head screws (as seen in the photos), and that mostly from knocking off the Plastidip when taking the plate off to wax behind it. I had it on for almost three years, including NE Ohio winters. I would definitely recommend paint or something on it, though.

I certainly can't take full credit for the idea, as I based it off of something similar but not identical that someone else did (unfortunately, I forget where I saw it or whom to credit). But the price was right, and it served me well.

cb1111

Yep, outside of a little rust on the Allen-head screws (as seen in the photos), and that mostly from knocking off the Plastidip when taking the plate off to wax behind it. I had it on for almost three years, including NE Ohio winters. I would definitely recommend paint or something on it, though.

I certainly can't take full credit for the idea, as I based it off of something similar but not identical that someone else did (unfortunately, I forget where I saw it or whom to credit). But the price was right, and it served me well.
Thanks. Yes, I had seen this somewhere before as well, but without your good description.

TheBobmanNH

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE

View attachment 193612

View attachment 193613

View attachment 193614

I'd be careful about this option, blocking airflow across the intercooler is not a great idea.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I live in a front plate province, and I used the OEM bracket without drilling the bumper. Drilled a couple of extra holes in it to create extra looping points to secure it to the grill with zip ties. It’s not coming off without a fight.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I'd be careful about this option, blocking airflow across the intercooler is not a great idea.

When the plate is installed, it doesn't cover any more of the lower grille than the factory plate mount. The only real difference is that it's removable without leaving holes in the bumper.

20190507_153742~01.jpg

Though if I'm honest, I almost never run the car hard enough that blocking off the intercooler would cause a real problem anyway...

cb1111

This is a good point to consider, but I think in this case it makes little difference. The placement difference is minimal and I can't imagine that there is any airflow blocked.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
When the plate is installed, it doesn't cover any more of the lower grille than the factory plate mount. The only real difference is that it's removable without leaving holes in the bumper.

View attachment 193701

Though if I'm honest, I almost never run the car hard enough that blocking off the intercooler would cause a real problem anyway...
*side note. I kinda dig the black lower door trim...carry on

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
*side note. I kinda dig the black lower door trim...carry on

Thanks! They're cheap Aliexpress vinyl stripes that came with separate "Clubsport" lettering in reflective red. I trimmed off the "Club" for accurate model badging. 😏

It's held up decently, except some of the top layer on the lettering peeled off, which looks kind of janky. I'll probably redo it in the spring.