GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front headlamp lenses cracking on the inside

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Hi all

Has anyone had any luck replacing the headlamp lenses without having to replace the entire light fitting on a GTI/GTD?

I tried refurbishing mine today and while it has done an awesome job of removing defects in the plastic from stone chips etc, it appears that the cracking which is causing them to fog slightly is inside the lamps themselves.
5F8B325E-678C-4BDF-A032-9C3FE209D483.jpeg

I also had a small slip with the drill while doing the passenger side one, going along the top, so I’m going to have to do something more permanent than that..

I’m only halfway through doing the job at the moment and have only very briefly had a look online - in response to the slip. Looking at the top of the light itself, it does appear that the lense clips onto the fitting itself, which is making me think that new ones must be obtainable from somewhere?

Has anyone else had the same happen with their headlights, or has anyone who’s done any cosmetic modding to their headlights for any experience with this?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Quick update - this is how they look now, I’m really impressed!
6D99BB69-EA36-4BA3-82DB-B31D5EB849FC.jpeg
5F3C805D-0384-47A6-A6CA-C82E3C574AC5.jpeg

I still need to replace the lenses though, it seems that my old south-facing car park behind my old flat has caused them to develop stress fractures from sitting in the sun all day, heating up and cooling down again. I see some people saying I need to replace the entire light fitting but I’ve managed to locate replacement lenses online for them which I’ll probably order in a few weeks..

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Please share your experience with the replacement lenses. My left headlight has moisture inside, and the dealer recommends replacing the entire assembly at a cost well over $1000.