GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Endlinks -- a necessity?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Are they a necessity for a lowered car (1"+) driven aggressively and used for canyon runs with plans to track in the future?

Running stock front swaybar.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
I'm sure the OP is referring to upgraded front end links. I'm running MSS springs with an upgraded rear bar and Superpro endlinks. I'm thinking about upgrading the front endlinks too. I'd be interested to know if they make a noticeable difference.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I think it is. I was running OEM end links on a lowered car for almost a year. I switched to adjustable superpro end links. I then adjusted them to appropriate length with the suspension loaded so that there would be no tension on the sway bar. After this I compared them to the stock sway bar and the lengths were completely different. After installing and driving, turn in was much better. I would recommend it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If that's the case, then aftermarket links are probably the way to go.
It's important to have them set properly though (no preload) to have them be beneficial though

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks for the input. If course i did not mean i want to remove the links altogether :)

What is the exact procedure for setting adjustable links? I'll probably go with SuperPro since that's what I'm running aft.

Navi

Autocross Champion
The procedure is basically this:

The car has to be level with suspension loaded first of all. The trick is that you need to be able to get under the car at the same time, so the best way is either a big dog lift at a shop that keeps the cars weight on its wheels such as a 4 post lift or an alignment rack. Or the way I did it in my garage was with two rhino racks, one under each of the front wheels to keep the cars front suspension loaded. Then I jacked up the rear of the car so that the car was level so that the front suspension would be loaded as if it was sitting on flat ground. Then you remove the stock front end links and take the superpro end links and adjust the length of them so that the end bolts can slid into the suspension strut hole and sway bar end hole without bending or resistance. You have to adjust this length by either trial and error or with a sewing measuring tape. I didn't have a measuring tape so I did trial and error and eyeballed it. Probably quicker with the tape since you can get it on the first try that way. Once that length is determined then you're good. Bolt it all up and torque to spec. The whole point is not to have any tension/pull on the sway bar with the suspension loaded and the wheels pointed forward.

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
Are they a necessity for a lowered car (1"+) driven aggressively and used for canyon runs with plans to track in the future?

Running stock front swaybar.
Built my car last year and used this forums for information. It was extremely helpful. I rarely post anything online but want to contribute to an amazing community. My car has darn near everything you can do to it other then turbo and engine internals. Exhaust, brakes, suspension, intercooler, trans/engine/dogbone mounts, rear sway, and on and on. I did not do adjustable end links after a 1.3 inch drop. After a lot of reading I decided to go ahead and do them.

DON'T PASS ON ADJUSTABLE END LINKS! It's a absolute must! After lowering the car steering was more firm. I thought it was the firmer springs and shocks. After putting the adjustable end links on up front it was a world of difference. The steering is now very easy and much more like stock. The front end links had to be extended almost the 1.3 inches the car was lowed. Slightly less but very close. The amount of tension on the front sway bar was a lot and it made for a much different drive. The car would turn in to easy before, like it was "loaded" and ready to turn. It was also stiffer to turn the wheel. Once the front adjustable sways where installed/adjusted it made a huge difference. It don't matter if your lowered for looks or performance. Adjustable front end links are necessary. Without them you will have pretension on the front sway bar and it will effect the way your car drives. You can get away with it but it's not correct to leave the stock ones on with a lowered suspension.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Built my car last year and used this forums for information. It was extremely helpful. I rarely post anything online but want to contribute to an amazing community. My car has darn near everything you can do to it other then turbo and engine internals. Exhaust, brakes, suspension, intercooler, trans/engine/dogbone mounts, rear sway, and on and on. I did not do adjustable end links after a 1.3 inch drop. After a lot of reading I decided to go ahead and do them.

DON'T PASS ON ADJUSTABLE END LINKS! It's a absolute must! After lowering the car steering was more firm. I thought it was the firmer springs and shocks. After putting the adjustable end links on up front it was a world of difference. The steering is now very easy and much more like stock. The front end links had to be extended almost the 1.3 inches the car was lowed. Slightly less but very close. The amount of tension on the front sway bar was a lot and it made for a much different drive. The car would turn in to easy before, like it was "loaded" and ready to turn. It was also stiffer to turn the wheel. Once the front adjustable sways where installed/adjusted it made a huge difference. It don't matter if your lowered for looks or performance. Adjustable front end links are necessary. Without them you will have pretension on the front sway bar and it will effect the way your car drives. You can get away with it but it's not correct to leave the stock ones on with a lowered suspension.
Lol. You are a bit late to the party (I'm just being facetious, thanks for sharing). :)
I got SuperPro adjustable fronts a year and a half ago at least. :)

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
. The front end links had to be extended almost the 1.3 inches the car was lowed. Slightly less but very close.
yes. lower the car, you lower the bottom attachment point, lengthening the distance between it and the strut attachment point, by roughly the amount you lower the car (assuming you intend to preserve the bar position).

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
One note - make sure the superpro end links have TRC245 etched on them. Mine came mistakenly packed with TRC200s (45mm short!) Which obviously caused a lot of headache!

Note superpro helped identify the problem super fast and shipped new parts immediately without even asking for a receipt, so props to their customer service.