GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front end thunk after lowering

Proxima2

Ready to race!
About 11k miles ago, I installed a set of Emmanuele Design springs both front and back. I used the stock struts and shocks, used new hardware when needed and was religious about torquing all to specifications. Since then, the ride has been perfect, no scraps or other worries.
However recently, I have been getting a disturbing clunk from what appears to be the front drivers side. It usually occurs when I am going over bumps or uneven pavement.
I jacked up the front end and gave everything a good visual inspections and found nothing wrong. I checked appropriate nuts and bolts and all were tight.
Any suggestions here? THX in advance

Proxima2

Ready to race!
I did get the kit with all nuts ect for the install. I cannot remember exactly which came with the kit, but if it was included, I used it. My next step will be to jack up the car, remove the wheel and use leverage on the control arms to see if I can repeat the clunk or detect anything unusual.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I did get the kit with all nuts ect for the install. I cannot remember exactly which came with the kit, but if it was included, I used it. My next step will be to jack up the car, remove the wheel and use leverage on the control arms to see if I can repeat the clunk or detect anything unusual.
Don't bother trying to repeat the clunking. You know it's there and I'm 100% positive it's a loose bolt.

Did you use the correct VW procedure and torque to the required value, then turn the required degrees?

I've also found that unless you use a spring compressor when tightening the top strut bolt, that it will torque to the required value before the nut bottoms out on the hardware.

I'd just hit the strut nut with an impact. Take notice of how much thread is showing above the nut, it should be 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

IMG_3944.JPEG

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Stock shocks? Probably toast by now. Or soon will be. **ALWAYS** upgrade shocks when going with lowering springs - the stockers will not handle them well and will wear prematurely.

Proxima2

Ready to race!
Interesting development. I decided to have another look up front. I checked everything I could related to me lowering the car. Everything looked sound...no bumps, lose bolts etc. I was really confused and decided to take it in the VW for them to have a look. I figured this is smarter than just throwing parts at the problem. Turns out that the steering rack needs to replaced and that is where my knock was originating from....thank God I am under warranty. Hopefully, this problem is solved.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Interesting development. I decided to have another look up front. I checked everything I could related to me lowering the car. Everything looked sound...no bumps, lose bolts etc. I was really confused and decided to take it in the VW for them to have a look. I figured this is smarter than just throwing parts at the problem. Turns out that the steering rack needs to replaced and that is where my knock was originating from....thank God I am under warranty. Hopefully, this problem is solved.
Well okay then. Glad you got it sorted.