GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front assist not available

egebhardt

Everytime I start the car, I get this message on the dash. 'Front assist not available'.

The car is a 2017 GTI Autobahn. Night blue on black. It is 1 month old and the problem started right away. Maybe not the day I bought it or maybe it did. I don't recall. It might have started when removed the front license plate bracket to prepare it for the new DMV plates that arrived later.

In the settings on the nav screen, I can go into Car -> Setup -> Front Assist -> and check the boxes to turn it off. I won't stay off when I stop and start the car again, but I can turn it off. I also can NOT turn it back on again and it says 'Front assist not available' again.

Things I tried
I tried turning the setting off in settings and back on again. Car -> Setup -> Front Assist ->. No fix.
I tried un-plugging the sensor on the front and re-plugging it in. See pic. No fix.
I tried shutting the car off and back on again. Obvious one, but I did it. No fix.
I tried popping the surrounding plastic cover off and on again. No fix.

Things I should try and report back with
Wiping the little glass sensor part clean, if that matters. We'll see.
The cord from the sensor traveling to the driver side of the car is pinched. It is supposed to run through a nice notch in the plastic, but the factory messed up that minor detail. I'll fix that with some torx bits to remove and reinstall the bumper chin cover. We'll see.
Inserting my ODB2 Scanner into the port and reading it with my Android TorquePro app. We'll see.

I hate the dealer putting their biggest, fattest, dirtiest technician in and out of that beautiful black leather driver seat, repeatedly crushing the nice lower-outer bolster to pieces. They aren't 'car' people so I have to expect ham-fisted people messing with it. It is my last resort but I'll go to the dealer if I have to. Last year, they charged $400 to drain and fill the tranny on my JettaTDI. A YouTube video shows a drain and fill for $85. $315 for labor and tax sounds about right.

I'm very capable at fixing cars so I think I will be able to fix this problem myself. I have 2 M3s and a Tacoma. I have 3 motorcycles. I can do my fair share. This GTI is the wife's daily driver so I need to keep her happy.

I've read how guys 're-align' the sensor. It's bolted on with no obvious adjustment yet. I just read where it can slide left and right but that was an Audi S6. Gotta try that.
I've read how the problem goes away. Not the case here after 1 month.
I've read how the dealer points a laser at it and the problem goes away. I've seen a picture of a car on an alignment rack.
I've read where some guy had a circuit board in the steering wheel replaced.

What else can I try? I'm open to suggestions. Thx! :)

Attachments

• front assist not available.JPG
    front assist not available.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 38,177
  • front assist sensor.JPG
    front assist sensor.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 18,740
  • At dealer 3.JPG
    At dealer 3.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 12,962
Last edited:

egebhardt

Yah. Anyone can go to the dealer. I know that might be the fix but I want to fix it myself. The OBD2 scan is next, using TorquePro on my Android device.

Last edited:

egebhardt

So I tried the TorquePro app on my old Galaxy S4 phone. It found no faults.

I tried polishing that little shiny glass square with a microfiber cloth. Didn't help.

I also tried the following with the sensor up front.
unplugged the sensor
started the car
stopped the engine
plugged in the sensor
checked the dash upon starting. 'Front assist not available'

Also pictured is the screen for Front Assist settings just because I was there.

Attachments

• Front Assist Screen.JPG
    Front Assist Screen.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 19,378
Last edited:

phobos512

Ready to race!

You might notice the consistent ending was that no one was able to resolve the fault themselves except the one person who mentioned it was a loose dipstick (which makes absolutely no sense but whatever).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

egebhardt

You might notice the consistent ending was that no one was able to resolve the fault themselves except the one person who mentioned it was a loose dipstick (which makes absolutely no sense but whatever).
Yeah. I read that. Pretty funny but you never know. I have checked the oil on this car and I know the dipstick is seated properly just in case!

I scheduled an appointment at VW for 1-17-17 at 1.30pm, however, I'm still open to new ideas. Anyone?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. I read that. Pretty funny but you never know. I have checked the oil on this car and I know the dipstick is seated properly just in case!

I scheduled an appointment at VW for 1-17-17 at 1.30pm, however, I'm still open to new ideas. Anyone?

Just as a note, you will get the display you are complaining about when the ASC/traction control is switched off.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Yes. Thanks. I checked that too. Also, cruise-control does not work when Front Assist is off. So many integrations...

The cruise control overides the traction control, I only noticed this morning as we had a snow covering, I switched the ASC/TC off and noticed the display similar to yours, then activated the CC and the display shows CC active ASC/TC setting over ridden. (or such like).

egebhardt

Update:
The car has been fixed by Winn VW of Newark, CA. It was covereed under the 3-year warranty because the car is only 2 months old.

There is an update for the Front Assist which was given to the car before I bought it new so I didn't need that update. The tech (eric) told me (newark, ca) he had to re-align the front sensor. 2 bolts can be loosened and the sensor can be moved around to get it into the proper position. They have a special panel it is pointed at to tell them if they are near the middle. Tighten the bolts and done!

I still prefer not to go to a dealership if I can avoid it but I had no choice here.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Update:
The car has been fixed by Winn VW of Newark, CA. It was covereed under the 3-year warranty because the car is only 2 months old.

There is an update for the Front Assist which was given to the car before I bought it new so I didn't need that update. The tech (eric) told me (newark, ca) he had to re-align the front sensor. 2 bolts can be loosened and the sensor can be moved around to get it into the proper position. They have a special panel it is pointed at to tell them if they are near the middle. Tighten the bolts and done!

I still prefer not to go to a dealership if I can avoid it but I had no choice here.

Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted, sometimes the dealerships are not always bad.

DoublePD

Glad to hear they got it sorted for you!

Question for the group - I'm having the same issue and the dealer is saying it's my aftermarket 18 inch winter wheels/tires that are causing the problem.

Here's how it started for me:

- Purchased car brand new in November with 19 inch Pretoria wheels and summer tires
- At 700 miles mounted 18 inch wheels and winter tires (Live on the east coast)
- Front assist worked fine for another 1,000 miles when the above mentioned error popped up
- Dealer re-calibrated the radar unit and the front assist worked for approx 20 miles before the error popped up again
- Dealer noted that in addition to the "Front Assist Not Available" error that the system also showed a Can-bus communication failure
- Dealer checked the connections between the radar and the computer and found no faults
- Dealer re-installed original Pretoria wheels with summer tires and re-calibrated the radar. Tested the car for 30 miles with no error. I've since picked up the car and put another 30 miles with no problem.
- Dealer still claims it's the 18 inch winter wheels causing the problem

Any thoughts on this? It seems CRAZY that the wheels would be a cause of the fault especially since it worked fine for 1,000 miles. Additionally, the ride height was hardly changed as the winter tires are taller than the summer tires (making up for the inch smaller wheel diameter)

Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks in advance guys. Any insights are much appreciated.

Veejster

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to hear they got it sorted for you!

Question for the group - I'm having the same issue and the dealer is saying it's my aftermarket 18 inch winter wheels/tires that are causing the problem.

Here's how it started for me:

- Purchased car brand new in November with 19 inch Pretoria wheels and summer tires
- At 700 miles mounted 18 inch wheels and winter tires (Live on the east coast)
- Front assist worked fine for another 1,000 miles when the above mentioned error popped up
- Dealer re-calibrated the radar unit and the front assist worked for approx 20 miles before the error popped up again
- Dealer noted that in addition to the "Front Assist Not Available" error that the system also showed a Can-bus communication failure
- Dealer checked the connections between the radar and the computer and found no faults
- Dealer re-installed original Pretoria wheels with summer tires and re-calibrated the radar. Tested the car for 30 miles with no error. I've since picked up the car and put another 30 miles with no problem.
- Dealer still claims it's the 18 inch winter wheels causing the problem

Any thoughts on this? It seems CRAZY that the wheels would be a cause of the fault especially since it worked fine for 1,000 miles. Additionally, the ride height was hardly changed as the winter tires are taller than the summer tires (making up for the inch smaller wheel diameter)

Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks in advance guys. Any insights are much appreciated.

I highly doubt that's the issue. I'm on VWR springs and have not had any issues. Have they already completed the ACC/Front Assist update or confirmed that it has already been done?

Mine came on randomly and never went back off. Dealer made the update and it's worked perfectly ever since. The modules are too new to do anything with in VCDS.