GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From Unitronic Stage 2 to EQT Stage 2 Base Map -- Yay or Nay?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've been running Unitronic stage 2 ECU tune for some time. It's not bad, but not optimal and I can feel it. I've heard very good things about EQT. While I'm not planning to get a protune (don't want to deal with the hassle of logging multiple times), I am willing to run a base map. Is it worth switching to an EQT base map? Has anyone been in the same situation as me and can provide first hand experience comparing the two tunes?

Car: 2017 GTI S
Mileage: ~80k
Engine related parts: drop in high flow air filter, Unitronic turbo inlet elbow, modified stock airbox, FMIC, MAP catted/resonated dp.

All input is appreciated. Especially if you guys can help me decide while the EQT sale is still on.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I've never run Uni tunes, but it was a big difference for me going from Eurodyne to Cobb AP with EQT base tunes. I'd recommend an IC as well, even if a cheap Amazon/eBay front mount for ease of use as my EQT stage 2 base map peaks at 28-29 PSI. The DSG tune is definitely worth it as well.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've never run Uni tunes, but it was a big difference for me going from Eurodyne to Cobb AP with EQT base tunes. I'd recommend an IC as well, even if a cheap Amazon/eBay front mount for ease of use as my EQT stage 2 base map peaks at 28-29 PSI. The DSG tune is definitely worth it as well.

I forgot to include that I have an FMIC. Thanks for reminding.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Jim, you are not being being constructive. :)
You are one of the little devils that have been sitting on my shoulder for a while, whispering: "Just do it, just send that shit!.."

Sorry, I'm just sold on EQT and why I'm planning on getting a remote dyno tune from them. Never said just send that shit. Did say pull the trigger. Since I follow you in the forum I'll be watching for your decision. Good luck whichever company you choose.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Sorry, I'm just sold on EQT and why I'm planning on getting a remote dyno tune from them. Never said just send that shit. Did say pull the trigger. Since I follow you in the forum I'll be watching for your decision. Good luck whichever company you choose.

"Send that shit" is my vulgar way of saying "pull the trigger." I'm just a bit crass at times, nothing personal.
I've heard too many good things about EQT, you being one of their unofficial messenger. Swcrow is another one. He actually went from Uni stage 2, but he went with an EQT protune, whereas I'll be going with a base map (at least for now, but whom am I kidding...). I'm not considering any other companies. It's either go with EQT right now (the sale is definitely a motivator), or stick with Unitronic. From what I'm reading, EQT base map can deliver way north of 300hp at the crank on stage 2, and my tires will be spinning in 2nd and well into 3rd. And I like the sound of that.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Does anyone have the power and torque numbers for the EQT stage 2 base tune on a GTI?
Contact them and ask how the E30 base tunes are coming, I saw in another thread that you already blend so would be shitty if they drop right after you buy a tune.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I went from Uni stage 2 to EQT stage 2. OP, I think you and I already talked about this in the "what did you do today" thread, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

There's definitely a significant difference in feel between the two tunes, but power is the same (PSI peaks much higher on EQT, but it's the same engine). I made the switch to give me options for the future (IS38, protune), because I am not interested in Unitronic's Stage 2+. If you are planning on staying at Stage 2, it's probably not worth it.

Also, is your car manual or DSG?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I went from Uni stage 2 to EQT stage 2. OP, I think you and I already talked about this in the "what did you do today" thread, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

There's definitely a significant difference in feel between the two tunes, but power is the same (PSI peaks much higher on EQT, but it's the same engine). I made the switch to give me options for the future (IS38, protune), because I am not interested in Unitronic's Stage 2+. If you are planning on staying at Stage 2, it's probably not worth it.

Also, is your car manual or DSG?

It's been a while since our conversation, so all the details got lost on me. The thing is, I'm running a Uni 93 file on 91 gas, whereas EQT has a 91 dedicated file. I think that alone should optimize the way my engine works and lead to better results (not that I'm going competitive, just for my own sake).

Can you describe how the two tunes feel different?

Also, my car is DSG.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
It's been a while since our conversation, so all the details got lost on me. The thing is, I'm running a Uni 93 file on 91 gas, whereas EQT has a 91 dedicated file. I think that alone should optimize the way my engine works and lead to better results (not that I'm going competitive, just for my own sake).

Can you describe how the two tunes feel different?

Also, my car is DSG.
bottom line, the EQT tune just hits harder, faster. It peaks around 29 PSI, where Uni would only peak at 24. Unitronic was more linear, and smoother. EQT is by no means rough, but that extra 5 lbs of boost is significant, it'll pin you to the back of your seat, and like you already said, your tires will chirp in second and third.

I liked the exhaust sound of the Unitronic tune better. The burbles were throaty, burbly (if that's a thing). EQT is just pops and bangs, and you have to reselect sport mode every time you want to turn them on.

If you switch, you will notice an immediate difference, and you'll definitely like the tune, but if you're not planning on utilizing the Access Port for more than just flashing ANOTHER stage 2 tune, you really gotta ask yourself if it's worth the money.