GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Friction Evolution 2 piece rotors

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Just chatting with them via social media. Front rotors will be $925 a set, rears (310x22) will be $825. The front ring replacement price isn't set yet but somewhere between $500-$600 per set. They are going to be working with Humble Mechanic to do a promotional discount in the near future too.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
For those that have used the 2-piece rotors on track (especially ECS) and before that used blanks, was there a noticeable in fade resistance/cooling? I've upgraded my PP brakes on a '16 GTI to the Macan Brembos using 345mm blanks and my first track session was pretty fade heavy with Raybestos ST-43 pads, RS3 deflectors, ATE200 fluid and trimmed dust shields.

Hoping to hear that 2-piece rotors with directional veining and slots bring a lot of cooling into the system before I scrap the Brembos altogether and just get an ST40 328mm BBK for 17" wheels as the ECS 2-piece rotors are $650. I don't think the ST40 4-pot calipers warrant enough of a difference to spend the extra $1500 there for the brand new BBK compared to the Brembos. Bumping up to Motul600 or similar should also help with boiling/fade if ATE200 just isn't cutting it but would rather focus on dropping temps than high temp band-aids.

I think I'm just overheating the current system in a stage 2 FBO lightened car hitting 140 on VIR's back straight, also seeing if I can rig up a custom brake duct setup since I still haven't found a consistent/stable brake feel yet after 12 days on track this year and that is mostly due to heat management issues and fade. I used Ferodo DS2500s for the majority of those days on PP brakes before the Brembos and overall were great to learn on but still would fade some by end of sessions.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
For those that have used the 2-piece rotors on track (especially ECS) and before that used blanks, was there a noticeable in fade resistance/cooling? I've upgraded my PP brakes on a '16 GTI to the Macan Brembos using 345mm blanks and my first track session was pretty fade heavy with Raybestos ST-43 pads, RS3 deflectors, ATE200 fluid and trimmed dust shields.

Hoping to hear that 2-piece rotors with directional veining and slots bring a lot of cooling into the system before I scrap the Brembos altogether and just get an ST40 328mm BBK for 17" wheels as the ECS 2-piece rotors are $650. I don't think the ST40 4-pot calipers warrant enough of a difference to spend the extra $1500 there for the brand new BBK compared to the Brembos. Bumping up to Motul600 or similar should also help with boiling/fade if ATE200 just isn't cutting it but would rather focus on dropping temps than high temp band-aids.

I think I'm just overheating the current system in a stage 2 FBO lightened car hitting 140 on VIR's back straight, also seeing if I can rig up a custom brake duct setup since I still haven't found a consistent/stable brake feel yet after 12 days on track this year and that is mostly due to heat management issues and fade. I used Ferodo DS2500s for the majority of those days on PP brakes before the Brembos and overall were great to learn on but still would fade some by end of sessions.
Last outing I used the ECS 2pc with Porterfield R4 dedicated track pads. No fade. Pushing hard.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Last outing I used the ECS 2pc with Porterfield R4 dedicated track pads. No fade. Pushing hard.
Cool and assume you're using the 2-piece semi - float and not their Wave full float rotors?

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport

I have the stock PP brakes.

I went from stock rotors to girodisc 2 piece and saw a noticeable difference. I have temp paint, the girodisc are actually cooler

However, the inside of my wheels got hotter a bit. I speculate that it has to do with how they pull air compared to stock. One seems to pull it from front vs back.

Having said that, with good pads I did not have pad fade even on stock rotors. I have taken the car to Laguna Seca that is tough on brakes with stock, ds2500 and cobalt friction xr2/xr4. I cooked the stocks in 3 sessions. The ds2500 were good, but slowly fading at the end of each session. The cobalt friction are awesome.

I have the rs3 air ducts, that do nothing. I removed the GTI logos which actually helped on the outside fronts.

I periodically rebuild my calipers, about once per year. I have motul fluid, which I managed to boil when the pads were low and the fluid was close to a year old. So now I keep an eye out for it. I do cool down laps in the paddock a bit, it seems the worst is to park the car with 500 or 600 temps on the rotors. I try to get it down to 300 before I stop

On track the fronts are at 1400 or so. Kind of need pads to deal with it.

Last edited:

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
However, the inside of my wheels got hotter a bit. I speculate that it has to do with how they pull air compared to stock. One seems to pull it from front vs back.
This is interesting because it's the opposite for me. I destroy both sides of my outboard dust seals, and my internal ones stay fine. I have a Brembo 4 piston setup with Pagid RSL29 pads, 340mm ATE blanks, Girodisc brake pad heat shields, no VAG backing plate/dust shields, and RS3 ducts. Seem like the RS3 ducts are keeping the inside cooler since those piston dust boots don't get ruined, just the outside ones do.

I also boiled RBF600 once this year. My calipers, after a cool-down lap, were around 925. This was pre brake pad heat shields though. At my last event in October, I never saw the caliper over 575 after a cool-down lap, so I think they are doing a good job mitigating heat.