GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Freyja (AKA Firecrotch), the loaded '17 Tornado DSG R

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I haven't had a member's journal in a VERY long time, of any particular vehicle I've owned (of which there have been several since 2007). I figure that by starting one, I JUST may keep her longer than I've kept most of the other... *ahem* "side-chicks" or "whores" as the wife so affectionately calls them.

She asked what I was going to name Helga (I don't know where she came up with that name), and so naturally the Norse goddess of love/sex/war/power/money (sound familiar?) came to mind and I blurted out "It's FREYJA!". Her response was a lightning-fast "whatever she's a whore". She doesn't know, however, that I have actually referred to her as Firecrotch.

Anyhow, I've been modifying cars since the late 90's, and took a break for a few years to be in the military, where I was broke most of the time. Upon separation, and finding a decent career I started back into the wrench game with a '98 Nissan 200sx SE-R. It didn't take me long to want more from it, so I slapped a turbo kit on it from an SR20DET, and enjoyed it for a few months until I deployed as a civilian overseas.

That really lit a fire and I fully built the powertrain. 400whp later, and a move to the east coast and I had to sell it. About 10 vehicles later with various modifications, and a 3 year tour to South Korea and back, and I'm now finally back home in west Texas and purchased Freyja.

This one was a bit different for me, as I was really looking into buying a Focus RS as I had driven one for a few hours in 2016 while stateside for a development course. A dear friend of mine in Florida (who changes cars more than I change socks) had just sold his GTi he had for roughly 8 months, and purchased a 2016 Golf R and swore that I would be making a mistake with the RS. So naturally, I decided to test drive one (the last remaining DSG in a 500 mile radius), and from that point on she woo'd me and sucked me in.

Anyhow, enough of the life stories. On to FC.

She had been driven quite a bit already, with 391 miles on her at the Dealership. I didn't even want a red car, as I'm partial to white and how it shows body lines so well. BUT, no white available in DSG.

All tucked into her new home.

She is fully loaded, and I was able to walk out the door with her for $35,7XX. Financed her for $30,7XX.

There are already several modifications done, and more to come. I'll be adding things and will TRY to organize them somehow. Anyhow, it's a start, right?

Last edited:

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
A few months of ownership, and the mod bug was full-tilt. A close friend of mine has been running a local performance shop for imports, specializing in Honda, since the early 2000's. No matter where I've traveled throughout the world, we've always kept in touch almost weekly. During one of my almost daily visits after moving back to west Texas, we were talking about how restrictive the OEM downpipe was, and how I didn't really know if I wanted some mass produced product, or something built locally. I'm a sort of grassroots guy, preferring local craftsmanship to mass production when it's feasible. He did a bit of brainstorming, having never really done anything aftermarket on a non-Honda platform, and agreed to go ahead and do a custom 3" downpipe for me.

His employee is an extremely talented mechanic and welder, for having only welded 9 months. It was interesting to watch them work together seamlessly to build a downpipe based on nothing more than looking, cutting, and welding. I do not have the creativity and drive to build something from nothing, without even measuring. They just got after it, and everything seemed to just fit.

As you can see in the pictures above, I had previously installed a resonator delete kit after about 2 months of ownership. I enjoyed the increase in sound, but it still left a bit to be desired for me.

Two months later with the much better flowing downpipe that gave me no CEL even without a catalytic converter, I scheduled an appointment to have the remaining exhaust completed. He had a Vibrant single inlet/dual outlet muffler that had been collecting dust in his shop for years. He was planning on using it for his big-turbo S2k, but it wouldn't fit properly so he decided not to use it. He pulled the factory exhaust off of the car and mocked up the Vibrant muffler, and it would be a perfect fit so we ordered the rest of the stainless piping, and some nice Vibrant Ti finish dual tip trumpets to complete the look.

Sorry for the various picture sizes. Some of the photos were taken with his phone, and some with mine. Strange that they didn't all come out the same size when I uploaded them to imgur.

A video of the exhaust sound after settling over the course of a few months.

https://vimeo.com/309536727

Last edited:

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I've been running the car with a JB4 as I was cautious about flashing the ECM and tripping a TD1. It's my first VW, so hearing horror stories about warranty claims and what happens if you're TD1 had me concerned. I figured, if I can keep the mod bug at bay for the first year of ownership, most of the kinks would reveal themselves. Well knock on wood and that hasn't happened. Living in the high desert presents a problem for cars with forced induction power adders. I was going to order an FMIC for the car, but decided to try something different being that I found a JB4 water meth injection kit really cheap.

Disregard the finger pointing:

Installed an intake while doing the WMI.

Teflon tape and methanol do NOT mix, so rather than use it, I went for an adhesive sealant instead. E-6000 "goop" is an industrial strength adhesive that is methanol friendly. Cure time is approx. 24 hours, but given the hot desert climate, that cure time was cut into roughly 1/3.

While waiting on the WMI installation to cure, I did some badge replacement/modification.

For the winglets, I had to improvise as I didn't find anything I wanted. I used flat black plastidip to completely cover the winglets (I removed them from the car previously while I ran badgeless and decided I didn't like it). Once I covered them in around 5 coats of the plastidip, I used some paint pens to colorize the inset. I think they came out pretty nice.

Last edited:

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
The quest for more power continued. I am extremely happy with the car, but from a performance perspective, she needs more power. My fastest time is a 12.36, which is quick, but could be quicker. Unfortunately, our elevation is 3800ft ASL, and density altitude is sometimes almost 7000ft. My IS38 is blowing nothing but hot air even with the WMI.

EQT Vortex will fit the bill very nicely. Tuning will be done by EQT on the Cobb Accessport that I just recently ordered as well.

Ordered an MPI manifold from a seller in the UK:

I ordered the MPI manifold in preparation for the eventuality that Cobb will support MPI fueling. It'll sit in the garage until such time. All I need to do is fabricate the fuel control harness, and upgrade the injectors.

Still need to order the LPFP, HPFP, and intercooler, and that will cover me for the time being. I'm hoping to be able to reach low 11's at the local dragstrip.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Nice work. I wonder what kind of times you can achieve in lower elevation. Probably a 10 second car?

Your elevation reminds me of some youtube channel where these middle aged guys review cars at like a mile above sea level. LOL I know there are many challenges up in high elevation, but their reviews are kind of worthless to us in lower elevation.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Nice work. I wonder what kind of times you can achieve in lower elevation. Probably a 10 second car?

Your elevation reminds me of some youtube channel where these middle aged guys review cars at like a mile above sea level. LOL I know there are many challenges up in high elevation, but their reviews are kind of worthless to us in lower elevation.

Thanks :) All things being equal but at lower elevation, The car is likely currently a high 11 second car. I would have loved to make a pass lower than a 12.36, but the elevation, temperatures, and track conditions just weren't having it. The track is only open on Friday nights for test and tune, and in the high desert it can still be in the 90's at 9pm. I think the shop and I are going to be venturing out to much lower elevation dragstrips this coming season.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Today my 19" Pretoria wheels were sold, so I moved forward with the plan for a smaller wheel with wider tire. Unfortunately, the RPF1's being only available in a higher offset, narrower wheel, and single color from most places I searched, pushed me onto another wheel from the same brand.

Konig Hypergram 18x8.5 ET43

I'm going to have them wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.

In other news, the Cobb AccessPort has been delivered. Once I get home, I'll be mounting up the new wheels, cleaning and shipping out the Pretorias, and then I can get started with the build :D

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Sometimes the worst part about being deployed, is the ordering frenzy I get into.

Today (yesterday) I ordered the following:
Majesty Intercooler with radiator mount bracket clips

Autotech HPFP with tool (got a good deal on this, surprisingly)
BFI Stage 1 mount kit (discounted)
Emanuele Design springs (also discounted)
Dragy box
Brisk spark plugs
Triple Square socket set

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the low pressure fuel pump, but that may get ordered this weekend if I can convince myself I should.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Today, she got new shoes installed. As mentioned before, 18x8.5” ET43 König Hypergrams in gunmetal, wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 rubber (245/40zr18)

Also took the opportunity to uninstall the JB4 and install the Cobb AP3 w/ DSG. Holy smokes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG

eBay majesty intercooler arrived today. Heavy, but definitely looks up to the task! [emoji1377]

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
HPFP install went well. A lot easier than I expected it to be. After getting it apart, it made sense how they wanted you to disassemble it. The retainer for the OEM pump is press-fit to the piston, so you need to press it off. The bearing puller method worked great.

Re-installation was even easier than removal.

Next up I'll be doing my FMIC. May start on it tonight since I'm not really doing anything this weekend.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Got the EMd springs installed today and went for a drive. Comfort mode now feels more like normal, normal feels like race, and race just feels superb.

I’ll get better photos tomorrow sometime. Looks great!

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Your build is intense man! Love all the power modifications you have done with your Golf R. Any plans on getting suspension or BBK? ;)