GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free MT6 wonder mod: OEM bleeder delay removal

LeGti

Ready to race!
Awesome!!

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Is this only for GTI's? Or all VW transmissions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question, I don't know. You can see if your manual transmission has this small piece and if it does, remove it. I would say since it greatly improves the feel of the clutch and is very simple to do, just check it out and report back!

I would guess this would apply to all Golf variants. It doesn't make sense why they would put this in their sporty models to begin with.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
The clutch is already supposed to be the fuse in the driveline, this just helps that.

So you are saying that by slowing down the engagement of the clutch, they are trying to protect the drivetrain from excess stress?

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
So you are saying that by slowing down the engagement of the clutch, they are trying to protect the drivetrain from excess stress?

Yes

Also, I ordered a speed bleeder that I believe will fit the stock piece for $6. I'll report back with the size once I verify it fits so I don't accidentally lead people wrong.

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yes

Also, I ordered a speed bleeder that I believe will fit the stock piece for $6. I'll report back with the size once I verify it fits so I don't accidentally lead people wrong.

Makes sense. I have wondered about this piece contributing to premature clutch wear because it essentially slips the clutch. May be not a big factor, but just a thought.

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
I think it's a very big factor. :) I won't powershift this thing and I take my (relative) time in between shifts to ensure the clutch is engaged before I get back in it hard. We will see how long the clutch lasts.

If you shift the thing really quick it doesn't even have time to fully disengage the clutch and it will grind - also there are the times that you can feel the clutch pedal stick a little bit on the way back up... this is prime clutch abuse time if you're back in the power quick. Very telling to me.

Again, as always, just my opinion here.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I think it's a very big factor. :) I won't powershift this thing and I take my (relative) time in between shifts to ensure the clutch is engaged before I get back in it hard. We will see how long the clutch lasts.

If you shift the thing really quick it doesn't even have time to fully disengage the clutch and it will grind - also there are the times that you can feel the clutch pedal stick a little bit on the way back up... this is prime clutch abuse time if you're back in the power quick. Very telling to me.

Ah yes, the clutch pedal doesn't feel like there's a lag anymore. I can now shift quickly whereas before, the car did not like it! :D

LeGti

Ready to race!

Then I'll second your opinion as you put into words exactly what I was feeling!

Looking forward to the speedbleeder tryout.

TIA,
Ben.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

J.Nerdy

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought I was going batty...how the clutch seems to bark and spit through spirited quick shifts.

Any more news on the speed bleeder....would love to do this myself.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Well I know what modification I'm doing this weekend. My favorite mods are the free ones!

Dspl1236

Passed Driver's Ed
I have bee doing this on all my 6 speeds since MK4's. Its an awesome free upgrade.

Last edited:

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
I thought I was going batty...how the clutch seems to bark and spit through spirited quick shifts.

Any more news on the speed bleeder....would love to do this myself.

It got lost in the mail for over a week. :rolleyes: Hopefully I get it today or tomorrow.