GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frameless auto dimming mirror options?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Hey guys - What are my best options for an auto dimming rear view mirror that also has programmable buttons for garage doors? OEM? Or should I look at aftermarket options?

My GTI does have rain sensors (I know this determines which OEM mirror is compatible).

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
I went OEM and bought from shopdap. The car should've come from the factory this way, SO much better than the cheap stock mirror.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Definitely OEM. Attached is a matrix for the correct PN and year. I have a 2016 SE and bought OEM 000072548F off eBay, which is not the correct one for my 16. I figured "whats the difference, right?" Used ShopDAP guide to install. Thought I cracked my windshield taking off the stock rearview mirror but realized that it was the cut off point for my windshield tint. Installed fine, works great. BUT the new one did not come with the new plastic base. The frameless mirrors base is bigger. Don't know what the PN for that is.
Looks like the 000072548F is the one you'll need.

Attachments

• gtimirrormatrix.pdf
    415.2 KB · Views: 367

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
OEM it is! Thanks guys!

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Definitely OEM. Attached is a matrix for the correct PN and year. I have a 2016 SE and bought OEM 000072548F off eBay, which is not the correct one for my 16. I figured "whats the difference, right?" Used ShopDAP guide to install. Thought I cracked my windshield taking off the stock rearview mirror but realized that it was the cut off point for my windshield tint. Installed fine, works great. BUT the new one did not come with the new plastic base. The frameless mirrors base is bigger. Don't know what the PN for that is.
Looks like the 000072548F is the one you'll need.

Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll need 000072548F for my '17 SE. I watched the install video and wondering if I'll still need to run the wires across the headliner and down the A pillar or if it's just a simple plug and play somehow with the rain sensor wiring.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll need 000072548F for my '17 SE. I watched the install video and wondering if I'll still need to run the wires across the headliner and down the A pillar or if it's just a simple plug and play somehow with the rain sensor wiring.
Youโ€™ll still need to run the wires through. The difference in the mirrors is just the mount I think.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Everything is PNP but you'll need to run the wiring across. I used a plastic trim tool to stuff it in.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Ok, cool. I'll report back whenever I get one!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
this was one of my favorite mods. You don't realize how great the auto-dimming function is until you have it, and the frameless mirror just looks so much better.

I went cheap and bought a used mirror from ebay and a DIY harness from ali-express. it was a little challenging figuring out which trim pieces I needed but other than that no issues and ended up costing under $100

SDCA Mk7GTI

Checking out this thread because I just installed an OEM auto dimming mirror in my โ€˜17 GTI SE and now Iโ€™m getting an auto headlight fault code. Has this happened to anyone else?

unklejunior

I installed this today - I didn't have to pull the A-Pillar trim covering the airbag off. The wire is small enough to tuck all the way along the outside of the trim. With a bone tool can slide it where the A-Pillar and headliner meet to run along the front of the headliner to the mirror assembly. The mirror is a huge improvement and functions are all solid. This is a fantastic mod.