GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Found shipping pucks at 13k miles

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
As with so many others, after taking delivery of my GTI, I was hitting what I thought were the bump stops on spots where the road had gradual dips, and real bumps felt like there was no suspension. In fact, I complained about it in the survey VW sent me after buying the car. There were several memorable times when this happened and it scared the crap out of me due to how violent and loud it was. I thought this was just a sporty suspension and planned to aim some mods at mitigating the harshness. (I have spine problems and harsh bumps are not fun.) Over time, I started dodging potholes and slowing down over areas I had learned would be nasty to drive over. Another aspect of the suspension that I thought was strange was that the car would feel floaty and underdamped after a bump - making it somewhat harder to control for a brief time. I am curious to see if that behavior will be gone now.

I recently decided to switch to 17" wheels, partially due to the added rubber between my spine and the road. I received the new wheels today, and jacked up the car to check their fitment, on the passenger side. Right away, I noticed that the dust boot on my strut was all messed up.

SHIPPING PUCKS 01.jpg

It was not like this the last time I rotated my tires at about 6k miles. I am at 13k miles now. I was aware of the shipping puck problem, but I didn't know it was possible to check for them without taking apart the suspension. When I saw the state of my dust boot, I got my phone and started taking pictures. I started pulling the boot down, and it gave birth to three baby blue puck triplets. They were not attached to the strut. The dust boot has a couple of holes, and is damaged enough that it won't cover up the strut piston any more.

SHIPPING PUCKS 02.jpg

As far as I can tell, I must have hit a bump hard enough to cause the pucks to come off of the strut, but they remained trapped inside the dust boot. It appears one of them got caught in the spring, as well. I think it must have been wedged in the spring, in fact, because when I put the car back down, I lost about a half inch of space above the tire. I had planned on putting VWR springs on, but now I'm not sure I want to lower it that much. (Already bought the springs, too.)

I checked the driver side and it also had 3 pucks. The boot was not as badly damaged, but still deformed somewhat and doesn't stay in place to cover the strut. Two of the pucks were detached from the strut but they were in better shape, so I guess they stayed clear of the spring. I think maybe the single attached puck in the driver's side, and the spring-stuck puck on the passenger side amounted to a similar wheel arch gap on both sides - so I didn't notice a difference between the two sides.

I have read a bunch of threads about this issue and I've seen everything from 'it wouldn't cause damage' to 'you need a new suspension'. In my case, it seems like I have been driving on these damn things for longer than most people do, and if I knocked into those pucks hard enough to make them jump off the strut, I don't have high hopes for my strut mounts/bearings, or the strut housings themselves. I know I need new dust boots at the minimum.

I am planning to get the dealership involved, so I will hold off putting the new wheels on the car so they don't have to worry about my spline drive lug bolts and I don't have to worry about them scratching the wheels.
I am Cobb/EQT tuned, so I have been avoiding the dealership and changing my own oil. I have an oil catch can, a high flow air filter, and an MST TIP. I also run a flush spacer kit, and that's about it for mods.

Should I put the Cobb stock-like tune on before bringing it in? I am thinking it will TD1 me either way, if they hook their computer up.

At minimum, I plan on asking them to closely inspect the struts, strut mounts and bearings, and to replace the dust boots and bump stops. I don't really expect them to do a good job at the inspection, as it is not in their interest to find damage.

I'd feel better if they inspected the whole front suspension, and replaced the struts.

Ideally, they would pay for me to get some KW street comfort coilovers and install them for me. That would make us square, in my opinion... I (and my spine) should have been enjoying my GTI much more than I have been for 3 freakin years.

If they won't play ball, or brush it off as they seem to do sometimes, I will get VWoA involved.

Advice is welcome.

Attachments

• SHIPPING PUCKS 03.jpg
    SHIPPING PUCKS 03.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 529
  • SHIPPING PUCKS 04.jpg
    SHIPPING PUCKS 04.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 768
  • SHIPPING PUCKS 05.jpg
    SHIPPING PUCKS 05.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 475

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don’t think the dealer would cover that. It could be explained away as accidental damage.

but wait on more opinions. I could be wrong.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Ideally, they would pay for me to get some KW street comfort coilovers and install them for me. That would make us square, in my opinion... I (and my spine) should have been enjoying my GTI much more than I have been for 3 freakin years.

If they won't play ball, or brush it off as they seem to do sometimes, I will get VWoA involved.”

You think VWOA will pay for KW’s and install them?!

They will replace your dust boots and probably give you a certificate for some free services.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
You think VWOA will pay for KW’s and install them?!

They will replace your dust boots and probably give you a certificate for some free services.

No, I don't think VWoA would. I don't think the dealership would, either. I was just saying that would be ideal as far as fairness in my opinion.

I don't think I would even bother asking for that - though if they seem open to ideas I might ask for them to put DG springs back on, instead of my stock ones.

I drove the car around a little bit today, to get a feel for the suspension without the pucks in (for the first time). I noticed a difference in ride quality immediately. I also noticed much more body roll during turns - I guess there were some good aspects to having no suspension travel.

So, now I am probably going to be looking for ways to reduce body roll just so that I can have the same sort of handling I'm used to, during turns. I am sure with stiffer springs, the ride quality would still be better than having solid objects blocking my suspension.

I will take the car in to the dealership early next week, most likely.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
25mm Rear sway bar is all you need plus mild lowering springs. I would've taken your car to the dealership with the pucks in that sold it to you and say WTF?

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
25mm Rear sway bar is all you need plus mild lowering springs. I would've taken your car to the dealership with the pucks in that sold it to you and say WTF?

Good to know, thanks. I have some VWR springs I have not installed, however I think they might take it lower than I'd like. A 1" drop seems ideal. I might be better off selling them while still brand new and getting something else.

After some research I'd probably go with Neuspeed's sport springs and their 25mm RSB.

I thought about leaving them in, but the thing is 5 of them had come loose - just moving the boot was making them fall out. On the passenger side, they were obviously getting jammed up in the spring. I didn't want to leave it that way.

I got to drive some more on the normal suspension, and took a route I know very well from my commute. I purposely drove over (small) bumps I had learned to avoid due to the entire car jolting when I used to hit them - they were smooth and quiet.

I also drove my daughter along the same route we always take on Sundays, and there's a depression in the road that I always hit because it's damn near invisible. Every time we hit it, it would scare the crap out of her and I'd apologize and kick myself for not remembering it was there. The bump must have been so nasty because there was still one puck on the strut on the driver side (the dip is right next to the center line). Today that dip was actually visible because water had pooled in it - and I hit it on purpose. I felt the suspension do its thing - butter smooth, no noise, no jolt. My jaw dropped... I am pretty pissed off at this dealership.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
Just an update - I'll be dropping my GTI off at the dealership early next week.

The service manager agreed to inspect the suspension for damage, and install my springs, since they will have my suspension apart anyhow. (This took a little bit of arguing, but not too bad.)

After putting one of my new wheels on and checking clearances at full steering lock, I decided to sell my VWR springs and get Neuspeed Sport springs instead, due to the higher spring rate and reduced drop.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Just an update - I'll be dropping my GTI off at the dealership early next week.

The service manager agreed to inspect the suspension for damage, and install my springs, since they will have my suspension apart anyhow. (This took a little bit of arguing, but not too bad.)

After putting one of my new wheels on and checking clearances at full steering lock, I decided to sell my VWR springs and get Neuspeed Sport springs instead, due to the higher spring rate and reduced drop.
Glad your getting some service now bro

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
So, just to conclude this, I got the car back yesterday from the dealership.

They inspected the suspension and found cracked strut bearings. They kept the car overnight so they could get the parts in.

After that, they performed the following, free of charge:
  • Replaced strut dust boots
  • Replaced strut bearings
  • Installed my Neuspeed springs
  • Performed an alignment (we never even discussed this)
  • Sprayed a sh!t-ton of tire shine on the wheels/brakes/fender liners (lol)
I've got to say, while I doubt I will buy another car from this dealership, I am happy with their service dept. They do solid work, and their manager took care of me.
After this, I feel much better about bringing my car in for the things I can't do myself.

The Neuspeed springs ride pretty stiff - but not as stiff as the shipping pucks did. I am happy with the drop.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

They inspected the suspension and found cracked strut bearings. They kept the car overnight so they could get the parts in.

I've got to say, while I doubt I will buy another car from this dealership, I am happy with their service dept. They do solid work, and their manager took care of me.
After this, I feel much better about bringing my car in for the things I can't do myself.

The Neuspeed springs ride pretty stiff - but not as stiff as the shipping pucks did. I am happy with the drop.
I’m glad u got a happy ending.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

What were the symptoms of the bad strut bearing? Did you notice anything?
I hit a big bump in the road the other day (looked like a speed bump) at about 70-80 mph. I don't have the shipping pucks in, but it hit so hard that the car made a really bed crashing noise! I thought that I totaled the car!
The weird part is that everything seems perfect, and it drives perfectly with no abnormal noises. I think I dodged a bullet this time, but since I track the car, I wanted to make sure that the car is 100% perfect. I'm taking it in for a yearly inspection next month, so I will have them check the suspension, and the alignment, just to be sure.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
The front strut bearings are a known weak point, but when they fail it will almost always result in squeaking or clunking while turning the wheels.
Also, take weak point with a grain of salt, when I pulled my shocks apart at 50k they were in rough shape, but still weren't making noise.

If you can spin the steering wheel around and it sounds fine then you should be good.