GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For Those Who are Not Wrench Turners

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Coool so I dont have to waste money and do the DSG fluid changes, MSN said so.

Most of these dont even give you a good answer, just more of a watch out if they say this.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I always love MSN's car "articles". They are aimed at people who know literally nothing about cars and so generalized that they are practically a comedy piece. The slideshow format they use is great at generating ad revenue though

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I liked it because some of them were funny. Enthusiasts usually are better informed, but I've seem scumbag service advisers purposely prey on people just like some of the slides show. Women always fell for it because they didn't know any better. When I had my Mazda, I knew the shop foreman, and he always worked on my car. The one day I didn't wait for my car, the service advisor called to tell me I needed a rotor when I just had the brakes replaced and the rotors cut a few thousand miles ago. I was in the shop talking with the foreman while he cut them. The adviser gave me, "the technician said" routine. I told the adviser a new rotor was at no charge because it had to have been cut undersize. He didn't know what to say, and told me to hold on while he checked. Low and behold, the rotor was now OK.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
also, this goes for alot of other things, house appliances, heater, washer dryer, ect. its sad but true reality of people taking advantage of other peoples knowledge gaps and charging them for it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I liked it because some of them were funny. Enthusiasts usually are better informed, but I've seem scumbag service advisers purposely prey on people just like some of the slides show. Women always fell for it because they didn't know any better. When I had my Mazda, I knew the shop foreman, and he always worked on my car. The one day I didn't wait for my car, the service advisor called to tell me I needed a rotor when I just had the brakes replaced and the rotors cut a few thousand miles ago. I was in the shop talking with the foreman while he cut them. The adviser gave me, "the technician said" routine. I told the adviser a new rotor was at no charge because it had to have been cut undersize. He didn't know what to say, and told me to hold on while he checked. Low and behold, the rotor was now OK.

A VW service adviser told me at one point that I should get my shifter assy replaced since I was getting the "Put in park, service vehicle" message. I was at around 40k, so out of my 36k mile warranty. His reasoning was: you may one day get stranded on the side of the highway because of that issue. He expected me to pay out of pocket. 30k+ miles later I had this done under a recall.