GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Footwell Lights Retrofit Troubleshooting

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
What do you get from it though? Are you planning on adding the ambient door strips?

In my case I don't get much, it just changes the color of the red line in the gauges screen as well as the color of the MMI interface. If you have a virtual cockpit it changes the color of that too. But I am trying to track down the real LEDs for the footwells and doors because it would look so freaking cool with those.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
In my case I don't get much, it just changes the color of the red line in the gauges screen as well as the color of the MMI interface. If you have a virtual cockpit it changes the color of that too. But I am trying to track down the real LEDs for the footwells and doors because it would look so freaking cool with those.

Sounds interesting, might taking a video to show it in action? My gauges have physical red needles, so I assume yours is a newer model (makes sense as your name is 2018 GTI, hehe).

As for the footwells and doors - are you sure this feature is supposed to control the footwell lights as well? I looked up on ETKA, the P/N for the footwell lights doesn't seem to change, it's still 5G0947409 and looks to be static white LEDs.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Just an update: I was able to get the foot well lighting work on my MK& Golf (2017) Model Finally !.

Had issues with the coding previously and never worked. However for models that did not come with footwell lighting from the factory, you also need to set the Adaptations for interior lighting parameters. Thanks to a youtuber - MR-FIX for sharing this information :

His coding details (Below) :
Coding and adaptation procedure:
Module: 09 (Central Electronics)
Security Access → Code: 31347

Coding → Long Coding → Byte: 05 → Bit: 7 → enable
Coding → Long Coding → Byte: 17 → Bit: 3 → enable

Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Lasttyp 30 → 36-LED Kleinleistung
Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 30 → 02
Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Lichtfunktion A 30 → Fussraumlicht
Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Lichtfunktion B 30 → Not Installed
Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Lichtfunktion C 30 → Not Installed
Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Dimmwert AB 30 → 100
Adaptation → Leuchte30FR LC72 - Lichtansteuerung HD AB 30 → always

Adaptation → Ambient lighting - Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Fussraum → 100%
Adaptation → Interior light; light configuration - Fussraumbeleuchtung → installed

Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_adaption_kundenwunsch_fussraum → 14
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_max_fussraum → 100%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_HD_auf_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 126%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_HD_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 127%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_dieseTuer_auf_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_andereTuer_auf_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_Fzg_geschlossen_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 126%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_dieseTuer_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_andereTuer_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_einausstieg_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_Fzg_geschlossen_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_Tueren_geschlossen_HD_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_Tueren_geschlossen_HD_zu_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_Tueren_geschlossen_schluessel_ab_fussraum → 70%
Adaptation → Interior lighting; parameter - p_helligkeit_Fzg_geschlossen_schluessel_ab_fussraum → 70%

Module: 5F (Information electronics)
Adaptation → Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2 - menu_display_ambient_illumination → activated
Adaptation → Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2 - menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high → activated

Note: Adaptations for "Interior lighting; parameter..." could not be coded with VCDS., mine is a older versions and would not support. I got it coded using a VCP Tool., it may work on OBD11., which i have not tried.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly... you now have the footwell lights coded to operate as they would from the factory instead of the alternate method that you figured out previously? If so that's great... I bookmarked something (that I believe is similar to the coding you have above) on a Skoda forum that I was going to try, with the your alternate method available if I could not get it to work. I'll be doing this retrofit in the next few weeks.

I am concerned my VCDS interface might be too old though... I wonder if Ross Tech is still doing the trade-in to upgrade. I should have done it a long time ago but I thought I was good since I have a '15. I have OBD 11 but something it did (or that I did with it, unknowingly) caused me to have permanent extra modules show up in scans and I couldn't clear them even with a module re-registration of the gateway. They didn't go away until I replaced my mid-line gateway with a hgh-line. Ever since then I can't bring myself to use it for anything.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thanks so much for the update!

The reason you can’t code the parameters is because you’re using HEX+CAN. You need the newer HexNet VCDS cable which is super expansive. I’m not sure if their upgrade program still works but as an alternative you can use OBD11 for these things.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Looks like they still offer the upgrade path... $200 credit for the old interface is pretty good, although the HexNet is expensive. I can't remember what I paid for the Hex+Can back in the day.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Looks like they still offer the upgrade path... $200 credit for the old interface is pretty good, although the HexNet is expensive. I can't remember what I paid for the Hex+Can back in the day.

I think the Hex+Can was around 400 or 500 for sure as it resells for 300 on eBay now.

That’s a pretty good deal honestly.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Good catch, I was definitely about to spend money unnecessarily. The trade-in for HEX V2 still gets $150 credit and gets you a 10 VIN HEX V2.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
What is the difference between HEX V2 and Hex Net besides the WiFi and Mobile support? Seems like both support newer vehicles.

Shame that there is no unlimited VIN version for HEX V2.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
What is the difference between HEX V2 and Hex Net besides the WiFi and Mobile support? Seems like both support newer vehicles.

Shame that there is no unlimited VIN version for HEX V2.
As far as I'm aware they're essentially the same other than the wireless support.

There is an unlimited VIN upgrade available for the HEX V2.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
As far as I'm aware they're essentially the same other than the wireless support.

There is an unlimited VIN upgrade available for the HEX V2.

Where did you see it? I only see the upgrade to HEX V2 with 10 limited VINs.