GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST or MK7 GTi probably DSG

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If you are worried about any kind of carbon build up on anything, then I guess that would rule out just about any DI engined car, no?! lol... I haven't heard of any problems with the engine in the XT either, btw.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking hard about getting an mk6 r, not the one i posted first with mods, but cheapest yet least miles i can find. but not completely set, test drives first: focus st, new wrx, mk6 r, mk6 gti dsg (i doubt I'm gonna get that but $19k w 24k miles, cheapest one i listed w gaylogens), mk7 gti both dsg n manual. gonna start testing next week as I'm off on monday but working this weekend

also is black worth to own even though its a bitch to keep it clean?

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
This is such good advice.

I agree on your point about the manual. It's more the clutch/throttle feel and relationship then the actual shifter on the GTI. The shifter is fine, the rev hang, throttle lag and over all feel makes the manual experience "eh".

YES! Everyone took my comment like I was ripping on the GTI shifter which I wasn't. While I did have issues with the GTI's long throws, I resolved that with the Diesel Geek Short Shifter (best mod next to Stg1.).

My issue is with the responsiveness of the throttle and the delays while it seems the ECU has to calculate everything and is like a milli sec behind. I'm not saying it's TERRIBLE, but coming from non-electronic, you can immediately feel the awkwardness in driving when performing shifts that aren't part of casual/coast driving.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
YES! Everyone took my comment like I was ripping on the GTI shifter which I wasn't. While I did have issues with the GTI's long throws, I resolved that with the Diesel Geek Short Shifter (best mod next to Stg1.).

My issue is with the responsiveness of the throttle and the delays while it seems the ECU has to calculate everything and is like a milli sec behind. I'm not saying it's TERRIBLE, but coming from non-electronic, you can immediately feel the awkwardness in driving when performing shifts that aren't part of casual/coast driving.

i would not think you would rip on gti's, this is my first manual since the 1990 corolla i had back in high school for a year. it was looooong ago when i had it, the corolla if i remember had a shorter clutch travel, also that wasn't a performance car, it doesn't have the lag, but it was SLOOOWWWW. the peugeot i rented in greece last summer was better w/ throttle response, shifter etc. but not sturdy. my uncles 2004 renault megane has the same "issue", but its a turbo diesel with 80 hp so torque solves it after lag.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Older cars with throttle calls tend to have better manual driving experience IMO. My Miata is probably the best manual I've driven... actually probably the NB Miata I drove, which was just a less worn out version.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's very early to tell. It's direct injection and Subaru patented an air/oil separator system to prevent carbon build up on intake valves. However, people have not confirmed if this system exists on the FA20DIT.

this is coming from someone who bought an FSI GTI? :lol: :thumbup:

If I had to bet $1,000 on an engine's long term life, reliability, and maintenance cost, 10 out of 10 times, I'd go with the 2015 WRX motor over a 2008 FSI GTI engine.....

I'd definitely buy a 15 wrx over a mk6 R (or really anything else FWD/AWD in that price range) if you don't mind not having a hatch.

word

only you can comment on that. I had a black car. never again.

I know dat feel^

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Op here, car declared totaled, but bad news the other party (their insurance trying to scapegoat me, when other driver clearly admitted at fault to the police) tryna refuse to pay, but i might get at least either 14k-20k as check (my insurance is handling it), i owe 6,000 to the mk6 and rest ima drop it to a mk7 dsg, bc since im driving an auto lately, i find myself more calm now. Anyway the other party insurance is paying my rental up to 900$, pickin up tomorrow, they said compact car so i dont know what pos theyre gonna give me. Never the less, my wrist is finally back to normal, cast is off for good!!

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
this is coming from someone who bought an FSI GTI? :lol: :thumbup:

If I had to bet $1,000 on an engine's long term life, reliability, and maintenance cost, 10 out of 10 times, I'd go with the 2015 WRX motor over a 2008 FSI GTI engine.....

word

I know dat feel^

What does my FSI have to do with an FA20DIT needing carbon clean up? That's quite a ridiculously unrelated thing to talk about.

Also, what does my FSI have to do with telling the OP any recommendations?

You're kind of off point on everything you said.

And yes, any direct injection engine is going to have issues. I don't get where this whole "2015 WRX reliability" swear comes from. The car has been out for like 5 months and you're claiming it's the king of kings.

YOU don't know yet. No one does. But I'll tell you this- If I am going to have an issue with a tuned car, 9 times out of 10 I'd rather go to a VW dealership to deal with that nonsense than I would a Subaru dealership.

PS: My FSI, for all its supposed issues (which my sample has never had problems with in over 60,000 miles), FSI never had an issue with ringlands. So Subaru >> VW for reliability is kind of a ridiculous thing to say.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
What does my FSI have to do with an FA20DIT needing carbon clean up? That's quite a ridiculously unrelated thing to talk about.

Your engine is notorious for carbon buildup.

Also, what does my FSI have to do with telling the OP any recommendations?

Your engine is notorious for carbon buildup and cam follower issues.

You're kind of off point on everything you said.

No, not at all.

And yes, any direct injection engine is going to have issues. I don't get where this whole "2015 WRX reliability" swear comes from. The car has been out for like 5 months and you're claiming it's the king of kings.

No reported issues, and generally Subaru is very reliable.

YOU don't know yet. No one does. But I'll tell you this- If I am going to have an issue with a tuned car, 9 times out of 10 I'd rather go to a VW dealership to deal with that nonsense than I would a Subaru dealership.

Never had a concern with Subaru dealers, but with any dealer and mfg, it will vary by dealer/area, etc. I'd much rather take a modded car to a Subaru dealer than a VW dealer.

PS: My FSI, for all its supposed issues (which my sample has never had problems with in over 60,000 miles), FSI never had an issue with ringlands. So Subaru >> VW for reliability is kind of a ridiculous thing to say.

Ringlands was not a problam on all cars (My stage 2 STI's - both of them, 04 and 08, never had any issues), and only affected some cars. I'd again still take a Subaru over a VW for overall reliability.

Tech72

Ready to race!
They updated the interior in the ST for '15. It's subtle, but definitely an improvement.

The new ST steering wheel looks awfully familiar. Three spokes, with a very familiar bottom spoke design, flat bottom, big bolsters at the 10-2. Reminds me of.....