GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FMIC Interference Question.....

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Hello community...I got a quick question. I just installed a front lip on my MK7.5 in which the screws protrudes on the inside of the bumper area. I'm wondering if I would have any kind of issue fitting an FMIC in that area now.
Anyone that has a similar situation that can provide some feedback? I'm ready to order the FMIC but before I do, need the reassurance that I won't encounter any issues.
Thank you in advance to everyone for their feedback.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Which lip, and how far are they sticking up through the bumper cover?

Depending on what combo you plan to run it might be hard to find someone with the same setup. I am planning to run Aerofabb with my Baun Performance IC and if the hardware interfered at all I was going to try to source slightly shorter screws (or cut a few threads off).

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Any pictures of what you mean? Hard to tell without knowing where the screws are and how long they're sticking out. Also depends on the FMIC.

Quick google brought up some pics that might help.
ECS FMIC:
1615214177798.png

Neuspeed:
1615214202630.png

CTS:
1615214255832.png

1615214267211.png

ARM:
1615214298752.png

1615214305541.png

1615214390212.png

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Thanks. I guess I'll be guinea pig :confused:. I installed the Aerofabb V2 front lip and looking at getting the Baun Performance IC as well. I don't know if you can get shorter screws, as it stands there are only about 4 threads passed the nylon nut. It probably would be fine but I was just curious to hear from the community.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thanks. I guess I'll be guinea pig :confused:. I installed the Aerofabb V2 front lip and looking at getting the Baun Performance IC as well. I don't know if you can get shorter screws, as it stands there are only about 4 threads passed the nylon nut. It probably would be fine but I was just curious to hear from the community.
Paging @GTI Jake

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I have customers running V1 & V2 Aerofabb in Chicago and Texas. Flip the bolts so the nuts are below the car a and the heads of the bolts point at the ground is all it takes IIRC.

Correction, the car in Texas had a Maxton designs

Last edited:

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Not sure if I follow but I was thinking about a different idea and use "Mate Rivets' with a tensile strength of 250 lbs and super flush finished.
BLIND MATE RIVET 1-4.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not sure if I follow but I was thinking about a different idea and use "Mate Rivets' with a tensile strength of 250 lbs and super flush finished.
View attachment 205724

If the bolts drop through the bumper, so the head is on top (inside) and the nuts hang down below that’ll give maximum clearance.

To take that a step further, Allen machined screws with “button head” would be best.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Hi Jake, the screws you suggest are what comes with the Aerofabb front lip. I'm still set 100% on going with your FMIC, I just have a difficult time settling with the locking nuts at the bottom of the lip because they would be visible. What do you think about this other idea to make as flush as possible and follow them with some loctite.
20210308_113118.jpg

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Ezekiel...don't you think that ground clearance might be a thing to consider if they get flip around specially on lowered GTI's.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Ezekiel...don't you think that ground clearance might be a thing to consider if they get flip around specially on lowered GTI's.

It would make a difference, whatever fraction of an inch of difference it may be.

Are you slamming your car? Dropping it an inch? Less?

I think we just have to be realistic. I'm going to do both at the same time so if there is any interfrence I will hopefully know before my bumper is fully re-secured. In which case I will flip the bolts and roll with it. I don't have any ramps / driveways / speed bumps to contend with 99% of the time so I have less to worry about than someone else might.