GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flywheel necessary???

Bigsnoop144

Ready to race!
My clutcj just started slipping 8500 miles. Im stage 2, was thinking of just doing a fx300 clutch master without fly wheel. Is it necessary to change the flywheel as well? I hear people saying the stock one should be okay..

Swoope

Ready to race!
it should be fine if you just started slipping and have been nice on it since. but you wont know for sure till you take it apart.

beers

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Depends, once you can visually inspect it you should be able to tell but not every flywheel needs changing, one thing that you can not do with a dual mass is have it resurfaced, I think that it can only be done with SM, I changed a clutch on a 80k plus miles MINI Cooper S and the DM flywheel was perfect, it was great until I sold the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
You can resurface it and I think you 100% should so it can properly meld with a new clutch. That is if you don't get a kit with a new flywheel, like Southbend of course, and also assuming it's not damaged.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I have a friend who upgraded clutch without resurfacing and even though the clutch was rated far higher than the power he was putting down, it wore out and started slipping not long after he had it installed.

You should resurface it and follow good break in habits if you want to make it last.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
You can resurface it and I think you 100% should so it can properly meld with a new clutch. That is if you don't get a kit with a new flywheel, like Southbend of course, and also assuming it's not damaged.

Ummm I was told that DMFW should not be resurfaced contrary to a SMFW but hey if it works it works. Good luck OP

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Interesting! Well I suppose I'm just assuming you can since my buddy, who generally knows what he's talking about, says he should've. I haven't researched it myself as I just bought a Southbend kit, but OP should definitely look into it. My bad if I'm wrong, good luck! :D

defcon5

Ready to race!
I have a friend who upgraded clutch without resurfacing and even though the clutch was rated far higher than the power he was putting down, it wore out and started slipping not long after he had it installed.

You should resurface it and follow good break in habits if you want to make it last.

^ +1 What he said.

If the FW cant be resurfaced then change it. Especially if a good break in was not done the first time. A good break in NOT is a waste of time. Dont take my word for it, call Clutch Masters (they will be happy to explain) or any clutch company and let them tell you why. Centerforce has a video on their site explaining exactly why a good break in is absolutely a good idea.

Morphine

Ready to race!
My clutcj just started slipping 8500 miles. Im stage 2, was thinking of just doing a fx300 clutch master without fly wheel. Is it necessary to change the flywheel as well? I hear people saying the stock one should be okay..

I have heard that the Kevlar ones can be problematic if not driven right and “shined up real nice”. I would not go this route.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The DMF is not "supposed" to be resurfaced. I'm sure some shops can try and resurface it against the warnings. (I'm guessing resurfacing it can possibly damage the flywheel).

Smart solution is to just check with your local dealer (if you are doing DMF) and make sure they have a DMF in stock and on hold for you. If your DMF is fine, no worries. But if you need a new one, its nice to have one ready to go.

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Since the last post in this thread was a while ago, I was curious to see if there is anymore insight into the ability to resurface an existing dual mass flywheel (DMF) if upgrading the clutch. Good or bad idea?

I'm planning to go with HS Tuning RSR clutch kit and the idea of possibly having to buy a new DMF is a painful thought.

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
You can’t resurface a Dmf.

Here’s mine after 49,000 miles, 40k of it APR tuned. Still looked brand new

Those 40k on APR were on the stock clutch? In other words, are you indirectly saying that there's a good chance that my flywheel may be okay to reuse?

For reference, I had JB1 (+4.8) for 7500 miles before it started to slip. First sign of slip, I was running the stock map within a week.