GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Floor Jack question

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Dump it back into the now empty oil containers and take it back to wherever oil was purchased to be recycled. At least here in KY it's a required service to provide but any auto parts store or even a Walmart should offer this service.

Then you have Liqui Moly 5L bottles, which can't be recapped...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Does liquid moly not have a screw cap?

Their 5L bottles have a pull tab top.

To be honest, I've only done one oil change on my GTI so far, and I opened it by pulling the tab. Not sure if you can unscrew the cap or not.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Get a good jack. Think about it, it’s not uncommon to rotate your tires in conjunction with an oil change interval. You can’t do that with ramps. A floor jack is so much more versatile.

Side note, I love harbor freight and have a bunch of their stuff. I worked at one for a time in college and the only thing that was ever returned consistently were the floor jacks. Too big of a safety implication to me. I’m sure there are plenty of people that have had no issues with their harbor freight jack but from my observations, I would recommend a better brand. You don’t have to go nuts. The craftsman that I use is older than me and still gets the job done.

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Their 5L bottles have a pull tab top.

To be honest, I've only done one oil change on my GTI so far, and I opened it by pulling the tab. Not sure if you can unscrew the cap or not.
Well you're the only one who mentioned Liquid Moly. I've never used the stuff and prefer things I can find easily and locally. I've never seen a container of oil that can't be resealed and if that's the case it's a ridiculous design. What do you do if you don't use it all?

Also note that I've used old milk jugs in the past to store used oil/car fluids.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
With any jack you need a safe set of jack stands. I have a 1.5 ton Harbor Freight jack & a 2 ton Craftsman jack. Plus 4 decent jack stands. Both jacks are of equal quality as far as I can tell. For oil changes I use a set of Rhino Ramps.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Get a good jack. Think about it, it’s not uncommon to rotate your tires in conjunction with an oil change interval. You can’t do that with ramps. A floor jack is so much more versatile.

Side note, I love harbor freight and have a bunch of their stuff. I worked at one for a time in college and the only thing that was ever returned consistently were the floor jacks. Too big of a safety implication to me. I’m sure there are plenty of people that have had no issues with their harbor freight jack but from my observations, I would recommend a better brand. You don’t have to go nuts. The craftsman that I use is older than me and still gets the job done.
you get under the car while it’s supported by a jack?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have a 3 ton craftsman and a 1.5 ton HF, plus several jack stands of various sizes.

The HF 1.5 doesn’t have enough travel to really work under the car. It’s sole purpose for me is to support engines/transmissions during mount installation and for tire swaps at the track.

I also own a QuickJack, which is great for the money. If you have any intentions of working on your own car regularly I’d definitely recommend one.

Also, have a two post lift in the works. You can see the obvious progression here, but with different work loads come different justifications for what you’ll spend on tools. Just be safe whichever route you take and don’t be afraid to ask questions, I’d be happy to help

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny