GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Floor Jack question

wallstreet123456

Car(s)
GTI
I would like to purchase a floor jack to change the oil on my GTI really wont be doing much more since I am not very mechanically inclined.

I do not have much storage room either so I wanted to know if a 1.5 ton jack is sufficient or shouldni get the 2 ton? I would just use it to raise the car and put it on jacks.

Thanks in advance.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
You'll want at least a 2 ton jack to be safe. 1.5 tons = 3000lbs; GTI is 3120ish. Harbor Freight has some inexpensive floor jacks. I went super cheap and got this from O'Reillys, but I also have Rhino ramps that I can just drive on. If your vehicle is lowered you'll need low profile floor jacks.

*edit*
OR you can get a oil extractor if your just gonna do oil changes. Cheaper than a jack, less space? You'll want one that holds at least 6 liters. ECS has some good stuff. Diggs would disagree.

Last edited:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
You'll want at least a 2 ton jack to be safe. 1.5 tons = 3000lbs; GTI is 3120ish. Harbor Freight has some inexpensive floor jacks. I went super cheap and got this from O'Reillys, but I also have Rhino ramps that I can just drive on. If your vehicle is lowered you'll need low profile floor jacks.

A 1.5 ton is fine, you're not lifting the whole 3k pounds at once. I have a 1.5, 2, and 3 ton jack and I use the 1.5 the most because it's easier to maneuver around. If you're only doing oil changes, get a set of ramps.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Better yet, get an oil extractor. I was skeptical at first...but it really is the easiest way to do it. However, every garage should have a floor jack. I have the Pittsburgh 1.5 ton from Harbor Freight and it’s great.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Extractor cheaper.
if you do no other work then better option. 20min or less job.

Attachments

• 1E1C908B-F66E-4EED-AA9D-9229D6A1DC7B.jpeg
    1E1C908B-F66E-4EED-AA9D-9229D6A1DC7B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
  • BD2835CE-64B3-4892-9D07-9AC4C864ED38.jpeg
    BD2835CE-64B3-4892-9D07-9AC4C864ED38.jpeg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 22FE61C4-4187-4D83-91C7-26303976D0AF.jpeg
    22FE61C4-4187-4D83-91C7-26303976D0AF.jpeg
    1,023 KB · Views: 165

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Extractor cheaper.
if you do no other work then better option. 20min or less job.

What's the little contraption screwed in on top? Have a link to it?

I agree with the others, if the only goal is oil changes, get an extractor, not a jack.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I
I would like to purchase a floor jack to change the oil on my GTI really wont be doing much more since I am not very mechanically inclined.

I do not have much storage room either so I wanted to know if a 1.5 ton jack is sufficient or shouldni get the 2 ton? I would just use it to raise the car and put it on jacks.

Thanks in advance.

It starts with oil changes, and before you know it, you're diy new brakes, installing new springs, etc. So if it's a choice between a jack (and stands) or an extractor go for the jack. Also buy a few hockey pucks as cheap jack pads.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Get both a jack and an oil extractor. Last time I changed my oil I got more out with the extractor than I ever did with gravity. Sucked that sump dryer than dry.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Every garage should have jack and stands. I have an Arcan 3.5ton and 6 sets of stands of varying styles. But I also do much more than oil changes. I’ve wrecked the cheap aluminum “race” jacks from the typical stores, and a couple of the cheaper steel ones. The Arcan has lasted years more than all the rest. Of course it weighs 100lbs and is a dog to shift around. But that’s for when wheels come off. I like ramps for all else. I have a set of extenders made of PT 2x6 to get the lowered cars up onto them.

I just wish I could get a fumoto valve for the VW.

I use old kitty-litter jugs to transport old fluids to the hazmat recycling center.

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious, what do you guys do with the used oil? How do you transport it?
Dump it back into the now empty oil containers and take it back to wherever oil was purchased to be recycled. At least here in KY it's a required service to provide but any auto parts store or even a Walmart should offer this service.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just curious, what do you guys do with the used oil? How do you transport it?

I have a cap for my extractor which I put on, then I take the whole thing to my local autoparts store 5mins away and tip it out into their recycling tank. I transport it upright in my car inside a trash bag as a safeguard against any minor leaks.