GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FK springs 18x9 +35 RPF1

picwick

FK springs -1.8"
18x9 +35 RPF1 fitted with factory 225/40 pirelli

Installed springs last night with a friend. Took about 2.5 hours with 2x4 method. Car was filthy after work, had to boogy to get the wheels fitted before the shop closes. Just quick washed it so i can give more pictures if you want.
dirty picture at the shop
1234.jpg

Heres my input on the process so far. Spring install is easy if you have a decent friend that understands how threaded fasteners work. We were basically drunk by the time we wrapped it up. Take your time with the 2x4 if you are not bolting it to the strut, watch those brake lines. Refer to the guide on this forum for all instructions and torque specs.
There is a consensus that 18x9 +35 is not common/desirable. I looked up every rpf1 and golf picture on the internet. I measured 1000 times before i even bought them. I really didnt even want to take the risk of them not fitting, but sometimes you get drunk and your honda friends peer pressure you into it anyways. Well its fine. Its not tucked in there, but its not rubbing (yet). Fender liner screw is still in place. My opinion on this fitment is still in development. For now, with an open mind, it seems just fine.

Oh and as for the feel of the car. its like 3 times better than stock. i dont know what unit of measurement that is, but its exactly 3 times better.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
That looks great.

picwick

ok heres some more pictures now that the sun has blessed us with daylight

these are not meant to be the most flattering shots, just trying to be honest about the fit so people can make more informed decisions

afdeharh.jpg

dfsrghj.jpg

cghjkck.jpg

dhgfkjsyk.jpg

FDH.jpg

fghkduk.jpg

FSGFH.jpg

fyukl.jpg

saerth.jpg

Gnasher

Ready to race!
Is that a measured 1.8" drop or what the manufacturer claims?

Doesn't look that big of a drop to me.

My springs (Eibach Sportlines) only claim a 1.2" drop (on the front) and they look lower than that.

Looks good though!

picwick

Is that a measured 1.8" drop or what the manufacturer claims?

Doesn't look that big of a drop to me.

My springs (Eibach Sportlines) only claim a 1.2" drop (on the front) and they look lower than that.

Looks good though!

ya mfg claim

i knew id leave something out. i was too excited to get it done. forgot to measure ftg before and after. ill measure it tomorrow

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
First, good on you for doing your research and making an educated decision on something that is not "the norm".

My first reaction was "wow, that's not all that bad". I've looked at every 18x9 ET45 picture out there as that's a pretty common MK7 size and fit thanks to Neuspeed, etc. I know what 10mm of offset looks like, but I thought it'd be a bit more obnoxious than that.

Personal preference, I'd like the car to be a bit lower and/or have some added negative camber to tuck the top of the tires a bit more. That would help to avoid rubbing and really tie everything together IMO.

Also before anyone says anything, a 225/40-18 from MANY manufacturers is spec'd to fit on a 7.5"-9" wide wheel. No, stretch isn't bad, especially if it's within the tire's recommended specs. If the tire was just going to pop or shred, no tire company, Pirelli or otherwise would note that spec for liability reasons.

ForrestGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Wider Tires

I am looking at getting some 17x9 RPF1s in the near future. I want to put 245/40r17 or 255/40r17 on them. Would that fit if i pulled the fender?