GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fix for wind noise

lwkeeton

Have new mk7.5. Great car except for one huge issue. Terrible wind noise on drivers side above 65 mph. Driven me nuts. Tried every suggestion I could find via google. All failed. Dealership gave me a "could not duplicate". No kidding since they say VW wont let them drive over 65 mph. Have spent hours trying everything I could think off. Taping up all windows did not work so got no clues there

Finally found cure for me. The vertical open ended door seal about 6" long close to the mirror: completely plugged it up at the top channel exit. Noise now about 90% gone and I can live with it.

It may be that the 'door adjustment' some dealerships have performed resulted in this channel being compressed to achieve same end. I don't know but it was not offered to me.

Thought other owners might be interested in this fix that helped me and I have not read anywhere else.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Finally found cure for me. The vertical open ended door seal about 6" long close to the mirror: completely plugged it up at the top channel exit. Noise now about 90% gone and I can live with it.

It may be that the 'door adjustment' some dealerships have performed resulted in this channel being compressed to achieve same end. I don't know but it was not offered to me.

Thought other owners might be interested in this fix that helped me and I have not read anywhere else.
We might be. You should post images of what you did and what you used to fix it to the DIY section. Thanks!

MasterTyvokka

I am interested in seeing pictures as well. I have the same issue. If it is the piece I think it is wouldn't blocking that up prevent draining of any water that got on that side of the door seal?

lwkeeton

Picture attached. I had the same worry about drainage but currently i'd rather have that than the horrendous noise. I'm hoping any amount of water there will be minimal and find its own way out. Any other suggestions will be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_101421420_2.jpg
    IMG_20200208_101421420_2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,475

lwkeeton

Also works if I plug up bottom, but I did not do that because of the concern for the rubber channel filling up with water. One option would be to plug bottom and drill small 'weep' hole somewhere slightly above bottom (if I can figure out how to do it without without creating another path for the noise-making air to flow through!) to allow it to escape.

Anyone know if cars that don't have this problem have door adjusted such that this channel is somehow compressed???

lwkeeton

Dont know its name, but it comes in rectangular packs about 6" long and is used to seal up around such as protruding pipes from brickwork to keep out bugs and moisture. etc. It never hardens so will remain flexible. Works for me just great!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Have new mk7.5. Great car except for one huge issue. Terrible wind noise on drivers side

Wrong forum, please seek medical help. Or...

Change driver????

:cool: