GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fix Chipped Clear Coat on Carbon Fiber

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Chipped a bit of the clear coat on my carbon fiber spoiler. The carbon fiber is exposed in that area.

What is the best way to touch it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Chipped a bit of the clear coat on my carbon fiber spoiler. The carbon fiber is exposed in that area.

What is the best way to touch it up?

You could try this:

http://www.southwestairsports.com/ppgtechinfo/general/PropellerInfo/propinfo.htm

7. PROP REPAIRS
Minor dings and chips to the propeller can be repaired in minutes by using cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) and ordinary baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as a filler. However, a product is available called Q-Bond which works the same as Super Glue but includes a superior filler than baking soda.

Put a few drops of the glue on the surface of the area to be filled
Use masking tape to make a dam around the damaged area.
Sprinkle baking soda or the Q Bond powder over the wet glue.
If using baking soda, use your fingers to quickly press it into the glue. (Wear vinyl/latex/nitrile gloves to protect your fingers.) Blow off the excess baking soda.
Repeat the above steps until you achieve the desired thickness. Be sure to soak the filler/baking soda with glue. Let the repair cure for a while.
Use a flat file or a Vixen file (which is the best) to trim the repair. Then use appropriate grades of wet-type sandpaper. Sanding under a constant stream of water prevents the sandpaper from clogging while keeping the finish cool.
Refinish as desired. Use a gray sandable primer, if needed, and then a finish coat.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Ended up getting some surfboard resin from a local shop. It dries clear and is UV stable. Turned out really nice. It was super easy to sand. Can barely notice the damage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk