GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fix bumper?

Gorpe

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

I have a bumper with a damaged corner and I don't know if it's possible to fix it in a workshop, it's the corner of the bumper that joins the side flap.
In the first photo you see the corner that is fine and in the second you see the damaged corner
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

The corner is not very damaged but if some of the plastic material is missing, I don't know if that area would be repairable with special putty.
This photo shows what corner it is
3.jpeg

My idea is to take advantage that I have to take the bumper to paint to the workshop to fix the corner as well.
I have marked in red as was the original form of the bumper (approximately). The red zone measures 1 cm (0.4 inches). Do you see the repair feasible?
22.png

Thank you and best regards

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Should be easy for a body shop to fix. Get at least three estimates. You could do it yourself if you are feeling adventurous.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Oh yeah....that's an easy fix for any body shop, but may require a full respray of the bumper and blending of quarter panel if you want to do it right. If it's not invasive, then simple fix and no paint req'd.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
That can indeed be solved with common fillers and a lick of touch up paint. If there is more paint damage you can end up with a respray, but the actual damage isn't anything difficult.

If you wanted to do it yourself, you'd just sculpt that corner again and sand it to finish and shape; using whatever is left to help hold it together; then just touch it up.

Depends on how perfect you want it. I don't tend to take things for a panel respray when it comes to things like that, but many do. You're almost always going to see where something was touched up, after all.

Comes down to how much you or a buyer will care.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Get the VW touch up paint and put a dab on it. You don't want to pay for this or do it yourself, since the bumper needs to be removed. If a shop repairs it they will sand down your good paint.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Am I blind because I barely see anything at all in your second pic. Can you take a better picture of the damage? If it's just the small scuffs I'm seeing or just a little chip on the corner, do not bother taking it to a shop to fix. Scuffs on the clear coat can be buffed or polished out and little chips can be touched up.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Am I blind because I barely see anything at all in your second pic. Can you take a better picture of the damage? If it's just the small scuffs I'm seeing or just a little chip on the corner, do not bother taking it to a shop to fix. Scuffs on the clear coat can be buffed or polished out and little chips can be touched up.
Looks like he's missing a tiny piece of the corner of the bumper. I have nicks in the paint bigger than that.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wait.... Is that a reflection or a corner snap?? I thought I was looking at a snap. If that's a refection, I don't see what's wrong?
:confused:

Gorpe

Passed Driver's Ed
Wait.... Is that a reflection or a corner snap?? I thought I was looking at a snap. If that's a refection, I don't see what's wrong?
:confused:
Hello, my idea is to take advantage that I have to take the bumper to paint to the workshop to fix the corner as well.
I have marked in red as was the original form of the bumper (approximately). The red zone measures 1 cm (0.4 inches). Do you see the repair feasible?

22.png

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Hello, my idea is to take advantage that I have to take the bumper to paint to the workshop to fix the corner as well.
So the bumper has to be painted anyway? If that's the case I would ask the shop to see what they can do about it. Basically your only option would be to try to putty or bondo it, but it can be difficult with such a sharp corner section like that.
If you leave the corner alone and repaint the bumper, it will still hide some of that damage because the exposed black section will be covered up with paint. In the end it looks like a very small chip and I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I bet you can't even notice it on the car.

Like TheFed said, you'll easily get rock chips that size in no time and that little corner will look like nothing.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Can't really notice it with the on the car shot...it's one of those which is unnoticeable to anyone but the owner...I dare say we've all got some of them (or if not, will have in time). I'd just leave it.

But if you've taken your bumper off anyway and were getting other spray work done, just point it out to the body shop, easy for them to fix as part of the overall job.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Thanks I thought I was blind also. ?