GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitting the GTI LED tail lights on Highline - retrofit.

sigi_dr

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi sigi-dr,

I can assure you that EU GTI for Italian market have not LED tail lights (also on car configurator VW Italy you can see this)
So I have syandard tail lights.....and the LED version in the box...
Please help me.
Thanks

weird.. well first you might want to clarify what you want, you have 3 options..

- you do the retrofit described at the beginning of this thread

- you do the dealer method (yourself, or you ask your dealer do to it) described in my topic: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10176

in both cases you need to cut wires unless you buy expensive adapters..
for dealer method coding is neccessary, retrofit can work without..

what's the difference? retrofit can't do alternating blinking, dealer methode can!

i assume you already have a fog light? in that case you don't need to do anything for that to work..

Grtz

FrancescoA85

Thanks for your answer.
I checked the "dealer method" of your post and sems nice; but then is possible to go back to the original lights (when I will re-sell the car in the future ?)
I would like to do it myself but what is exactly necessary to do the coding (special cable\software ??)

In case of not cut original wires, what is the cost of expensive adapters ?

sigi_dr

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your answer.
I checked the "dealer method" of your post and sems nice; but then is possible to go back to the original lights (when I will re-sell the car in the future ?)
I would like to do it myself but what is exactly necessary to do the coding (special cable\software ??)

In case of not cut original wires, what is the cost of expensive adapters ?

nope, VW says that once you did the conversion, you can't go back.. it's not impossible, but i would not advice you to reverse all the steps.. just leave the lights with the car, it will be an added value when you sell it..

coding: you could do it with vcds, but it's much simpler to go to your dealer and have them do it for you, they only need to put 1 code in their computer, the rest is automated.

adapters: i have no idea, but it will be way to much for what they are.. cutting wires will cost you allmost nothing, adapters i think will be at least 50 €, maybe even 100 €, i dont know..

Grtz

thinkblue

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

Thank you sigi_dr, comingabriel & capitan828, as well to everybody else who contributed to this tread.
I have a 2015 GTI, Canada, presently I use my LED tail lights w/o any coding nor harness.
My questions for you guys are:
- any modifications on sigi_dr pdf doc regarding the wires swap or coding?
- any detailed info (tips) regarding the removal of the trims involved in the retrofit?

Thank you

capitan828

Ready to race!
I dont think there is any changes to the instructions from sigi_dr.
As far as trim removal goes, your just gonna have to look online to find as much of the info as you can. This mod is pretty involved and requires some dedication, but results are every bit worth it. Be prepared to disable your car for a few days. If you run into any problems just ask.

sigi_dr

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

Thank you sigi_dr, comingabriel & capitan828, as well to everybody else who contributed to this tread.
I have a 2015 GTI, Canada, presently I use my LED tail lights w/o any coding nor harness.
My questions for you guys are:
- any modifications on sigi_dr pdf doc regarding the wires swap or coding?
- any detailed info (tips) regarding the removal of the trims involved in the retrofit?

Thank you

Hi Thinkblue,

Well, thanks to comingabriel and capitan828's contribution i was able to clear the pdf i posted from error's (as you can see in the filename it is V4, version 4)
If by any means you do run into a problem, you can allways contact me, no problem..

If you want, you could try find 'ElsaWin' on the internet (not easy to find a working version, but it's out there somewhere)
It's VW's own workshop manual, which contains all the details (it even discribes how to replace a lightbulb :rolleyes: )
Or if you have a good contact at a dealership, ask them to look it up, they allways have the latest version (duh!)

I have it too, but posting every single instruction would be like 50MB of data... :D

Grtz

edit: added the pdf in attachment, easier to find for you ;)

Attachments

• US-Euro LED instructions v4.pdf
    180 KB · Views: 890

steve-dave

Gabriel,
The coding you posted is NOT for LED tails, those are for halogen!
for full brake lights on LED's you need to use 27NSL !

i'll explain:
on halogen tails, 23SL and 24SL are the inner brake lights, that's why they tell you to set function C to brake light

BUT on LED's, 23SL and 24SL are the bicolor leds that run through the blinker, and as you can see in the second pic you posted, function A already defines them as brake light..
so on LED's, both inner lights are controlled by 27NSL

Grtz

Your setup uses the same bi-color channel for the bi-color connection on the outer taillight (4) and the amber connection on the inner taillight (3). How does this bi-color signal affect the inner tail if it's only amber?

aeozyalcin1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I ended up plugging in the wire I ran from the outer light to the inside light into the wrong slot of the connector, and now I can't get the crimp back out of the connector head. Does anybody know how to pull wires out of the taillight plugs?

sigi_dr

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I ended up plugging in the wire I ran from the outer light to the inside light into the wrong slot of the connector, and now I can't get the crimp back out of the connector head. Does anybody know how to pull wires out of the taillight plugs?

Sure,
VW tech's have a release tool which will allow you to pull the wire out of the connector..
Or with a little luck you could find such tool in an electronic (component) store or online..

Grtz

capitan828

Ready to race!
Hi all,

Just use two thick paper clips, works great. Also i think it was the male pin for that same connector also worked good if you have two male pins available of courae

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
For reference to the UK guys, just had a supply and fit quote from my dealer for £595.00 using the 5G1052200 and 5G2052200 kit.

Not looking to do it as of yet, was just intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk