GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitting off-the-shelf Golf R/S3 resonator delete kit to 4Mo GSW/AT

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was able to fit the CTS Turbo Golf R/S3 resonator delete kit/pipe to my 4Mo GSW. There are other companies making similar kits so this goes for those as well. This setup allows reversibility which is nice vs. welding a pipe in at the local exhaust shop. The key here is metric adapters/clamps which are hard to find in the U.S. (at least in the sizes I needed). The adapter you need for the rear needs to be a 70mm/65mm (both inner diameter so it will fit OVER the pipes you are joining) – had it custom made by 42 Draft Designs who tuned it around in a few days. Then you just clamp it on both ends. I used clamps from Milltek ordered from ECS (68mm and 73mm) that fit over the OD of the adapter. The front joint will depend on your DP be it stock (60mm) or aftermarket (75mm). You *may* need another custom adapter depending on your setup! I ordered a bunch of different standard adapters and clamps from Amazon/Ebay for this project and had to return them all b/c they were all a little off - trust me...they won't work...

For the front of the delete pipe to downpipe joint I got the replacement downpipe adapter for my Unitronic DP from Unitronic (the one that comes with the awd DP if you have a Golf R).

CTS Golf R/S3 resonator delete kit (or which ever, they are all be the same)
Custom 70mm to 65mm ID exhaust adapter to fit OVER the resonator delete and stock exhaust (42DD)
2x Milltek clamps (73mm and 68mm) that fit over the adapter (ECS)
Whatever adapter you need for your specific downpipe to join it to the 65mm delete pipe (Unitronic)

It sounds great, no exhaust leaks that I can detect, and no notable drone on the highway so it’s a keeper. My resonator will hang up on the wall by my stock downpipe.

PS. Sounds like Forge is working on a resonator delete for our 4Mo wagon exhausts so there will may be a turn-key solution soon which will be WAY easier (and likely a bit cheaper) than what I did…but it won’t look this good! Of course you can always just go to a muffler shop and have the cut it out/weld in a pipe which is by far the easiest/cheapest solution if you don’t think you’ll want to reverse it.

res_delete.jpg

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
How much did everything run you?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How much did everything run you?
CTS res delete on sale - $128
42DD custom adapter -$40
Milltek clamps - $20
Unitronic Golf R DP adapter - $70

~$260

symbiotix

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmm any sound clips? I'm also super curious what an Alltrack sounds like with just a downpipe and stock cat back. Haven't been able to find a clip of that yet.

tigeo

Autocross Champion