GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Track Day in 10 years - 2019 GTi - Sebring

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The RX-8 is a great car as long as you don't mind putting in a little extra (easy) maintenance and are aware of the cars quirks.
But yes, the major downfalls are fuel consumption (which would not be a big deal if it is not a daily) and no torque.
How the car handled though made up for it's lack of straight-line speed.
Just keep it above 4k RPM lol.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I cooked my factory brakes in 8 laps at Sebring. I mean complete toast (normal brakes, not PP). But I have almost 1,500 laps at Sebring in two Porsches over the past few years so I knew they wouldn't hold up to the pace. Brakes are an absolute MUST if you plan to track.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Are any of you guys running 17” wheels in preference over 18”? I’ve been using a set of 17” wheels with some Kumho V720 to scoot around town with and I like the feedback I get from the taller sidewall.

As a side note; I was going to use the V720 at Sebring but read that Kumho warns against using them for track duty (recommends they are used for specifically for autocross with shorter heat cycles) as they are known for delaminating with prolonged high heat cycles!

I read this warning only a couple weeks before Sebring so I scrambled to get some P Zero’s wrapped around the stock Austin wheels! Was a great excuse to ditch those all seasons the car brings from the factory!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I cooked my factory brakes in 8 laps at Sebring. I mean complete toast (normal brakes, not PP). But I have almost 1,500 laps at Sebring in two Porsches over the past few years so I knew they wouldn't hold up to the pace. Brakes are an absolute MUST if you plan to track.
I found the PP brakes to hold up well for a 75% to 80% effort with the porterfield R4S. I think their max range is 1000deg. The Pro got on them 100% for a couple laps- when he handed the car back to me the pedal was definitely softer!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Are any of you guys running 17” wheels in preference over 18”? I’ve been using a set of 17” wheels with some Kumho V720 to scoot around town with and I like the feedback I get from the taller sidewall.

As a side note; I was going to use the V720 at Sebring but read that Kumho warns against using them for track duty (recommends they are used for specifically for autocross with shorter heat cycles) as they are known for delaminating with prolonged high heat cycles!

I read this warning only a couple weeks before Sebring so I scrambled to get some P Zero’s wrapped around the stock Austin wheels! Was a great excuse to ditch those all seasons the car brings from the factory!

A few people, myself included, do. I run a 17x9 front and a 17x8 rear. Currently all wrapped in a 235/45/17 a052 because i had them lying around, but i'll likely be running a toyo tire (RR or R888R probably) in a 255/40 or 265/40 front and a 225/45 or 235/45 rear . Lighter weight, more rubber for the hard curbs, and significantly cheaper tires when you go to 17s.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I found the PP brakes to hold up well for a 75% to 80% effort with the porterfield R4S. I think their max range is 1000deg. The Pro got on them 100% for a couple laps- when he handed the car back to me the pedal was definitely softer!
I ran the R4s in the rear and ended up cooking them my first lap out because before I had a chance to bed them, there was a big pileup (porsche gt2rs decided yellow flag rules and point bys at an scca track night were not for him) and I had to make an emergency stop. I tried to rebed the pads later, but that was it for them. Since then they have tons of judder and are heavily grooved.

Squishy pedal gets to be common on this platform. The front end needs brake ducting. No air really gets into the wheel well, and the RS3 brake deflectors make a difference, but mostly for one side of the caliper. The rotor is big enough to absorb heat, but it's just not able to evacuate enough air.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Got a Vid Uploaded from this past weekend.
Opening clip is me going down the Front straight during an early session- then, sorry about the sound (or lack of) from the in-car camera.
Fast forward to the coach's driving which starts at 21:15.
23:35 Turn 17 holding speed with a faster car.
24:11 His hand's micro inputs through Turn 1
24:50 Nice Hard braking into Turn 7
26:33 Hanging with a Boxster thru Turn 17.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You can do just the rear sway bar and dial in the lift throttle oversteer to your liking with rear toe. I'd try and mimic the sway bar and alignment of the CSS.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
A few images from that day. The last pic pretty much sums up how I spent most the day (pointing Porsches by!). :)