GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time VW Owner - Stage 3 IS38 - Austin TX

tehMoose

Car(s)
MKVII GTI SE
I just recently acquired a GTI from my late father. From what I can tell it's a stage 3 with an IS38.

I don't know much about this chassis/setup/etc. Anything I need to keep an eye out for? And recommendations for local groups?

Thanks!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
First off, our sincere condolences for your father. Second of all, it definitely sounds like he liked to have fun. What's the year of your car? Dsg or 6mt? Also, we love to see some pictures! Welcome to the club!

tehMoose

Car(s)
MKVII GTI SE
Ha! I should have posted that.

So this is what I know of the car (based on receipts)

2017 GTI SE - 6spd
IS38 Hybrid
Unknown FMIC
APR Carbon Fiber Intake and Inlet
Neuspeed catted DP
APR Silicone Coolant Hose
APR Shift kit
GFB DV+ Diverter Valve with TMS Advantage
APR Catch Can
Eurotek Tuning/APR Software update/tune (not sure on the details here, pretty sure its got a 91 tune)

Maybe motor/trans mounts? Unsure on this one

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
My condolences. Love that he stuck with the sleeper look. Looks like he has pretty much everything you need assuming he replaced the clutch already.

tehMoose

Car(s)
MKVII GTI SE
My condolences. Love that he stuck with the sleeper look. Looks like he has pretty much everything you need assuming he replaced the clutch already.

It feels like a factory clutch, and I couldn't find any evidence of the clutch being upgraded.

I need to figure out how to re-tune it for 93. There's no handheld with it, and I think the ECM was just flashed (if that's how they apply the APR tune). What's needed to update the tune?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
It feels like a factory clutch, and I couldn't find any evidence of the clutch being upgraded.

I need to figure out how to re-tune it for 93. There's no handheld with it, and I think the ECM was just flashed (if that's how they apply the APR tune). What's needed to update the tune?
Welcome. Condolences.
Phone up APR or Eurotek to find out what file you’re on. You would need to take the car to the APR dealer for any changes to what’s flashed.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
You have my sympathies for your loss.

Looks like you have a pretty fun ride.

Would say I'll be on the lookout for you, but it's pretty stock looking. I guess I'll know when you leave me in your rear view :D

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT

OEM clutch can't handle that much power. Are you experiencing slip when you get on it?

Apr use to allow you to switch maps when I had it on my mk6 gti. Doesn't look like that's an option anymore on the mk7. I would give them a call and see what you have. They should be able to look you up by vin.

tehMoose

Car(s)
MKVII GTI SE
OEM clutch can't handle that much power. Are you experiencing slip when you get on it?

Apr use to allow you to switch maps when I had it on my mk6 gti. Doesn't look like that's an option anymore on the mk7. I would give them a call and see what you have. They should be able to look you up by vin.

I haven't noticed any slipping, seems to be holding so far.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
you'll get free 93 flash from APR, you already owned the flash but still need to pay the shop for their times, most likely 30-45 min.
hope you enjoy the car, don't lug it you'd be fine with stock clutch and 91 low torque file but save up for the upgraded clutch if you want 93 file :D

PicositoGTi

Go Kart Champion
Condolences sir. You need to get tuned by a real tuner so you can start making power man. Get rid of that APR junk........

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Condolences sir. You need to get tuned by a real tuner so you can start making power man. Get rid of that APR junk........

lol, maybe he is happy with an OTS tune that is reliable? Not everyone has to start going custom and capturing logs, sending logs, re-capturing logs, sending logs. Seriously, that to me is for the super anal, need to have everything perfect people. That is fine, but certainly not for everyone.

If the car is running pretty solid right now and you're happy with it, better to leave it as is. Like others said, a clutch would most likely be in order if it wasn't already done. You said unknown FMIC but assuming that means it was upgraded. That's good because that would be the other key component to get the most out of the IS38 along with the DP.

I'd say your ole man did a good job already and you don't have to go messing up something that isn't broke. Condolences and enjoy the memory he left you.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Apr is a fine tune that 98% of people who have it love. The people saying it's junk likely read somewhere that a different tune will get you 5 more hp that you can't feel anyways. They offer worldwide support that the others don't. People always go after the big companies.

Sorry to hear about your dad.