GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time clay bar - left marks

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Thought I would try clay barring for the first time on my 2016 and a little worried at the marks it left behind. I think I messed up by using too much force and going in a more oval pattern rather than back and forth. I was dillegent in kneading the clay constantly to get a fresh surface but it looks like some residue may have been caught leaving these clear/whiteish trails all over my paint.

I used lots of clay lube to the point where I could squeeze the clay and force liquid to drip out and it felt like the clay was disintegrating by the end almost like when you chew a piece of gum too long.

Tried to microfiber the marks away but they're still there. Any ideas on best way to fix?

Attachments

• PXL_20210401_193558814.jpg
    PXL_20210401_193558814.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
You marred your paint...

You'll need to fix it with polish - no big deal, quite common ;)

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You marred your paint...

You'll need to fix it with polish - no big deal, quite common ;)

A little buff on the clear coat and you’ll be good to go!

Make sure you use a car soap/ shampoo that lubricates the paint enough. That back and forth motion will also help avoid that.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Force??...you only need enough to keep the clay in contact with the paintwork/panel...
He is correct, no force needed. The clay will naturally pull the dirt/grime out of the paint without needing any pressure.

Definitely use plenty of quick detailed or soap/etc as a clay lube but it sounds like that wasn’t your problem.

As everyone else mentioned, a quick polish will take out the marks no problem. Most people only clay bar before they need to polish the paint anyways.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
He is correct, no force needed. The clay will naturally pull the dirt/grime out of the paint without needing any pressure.

Definitely use plenty of quick detailed or soap/etc as a clay lube but it sounds like that wasn’t your problem.

As everyone else mentioned, a quick polish will take out the marks no problem. Most people only clay bar before they need to polish the paint anyways.
This by a zillion

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Exactly....no force needed..& you only need enough lube to wet the surface..as soon as it starts to drag its getting dry..

Last time I used a clay bar was on my old car..spent two weeks detailing it & machine cutting/polishing..14yr old car came up better than factory on original paintwork...

Current car was ceramic coated from new...no need for clay bars or polish.. ;)

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Exactly....no force needed..& you only need enough lube to wet the surface..as soon as it starts to drag its getting dry..

Last time I used a clay bar was on my old car..spent two weeks detailing it & machine cutting/polishing..14yr old car came up better than factory on original paintwork...

Current car was ceramic coated from new...no need for clay bars or polish.. ;)

Ahhhh the ceramic coat, thats a dream when its done up!

I clay bar and use sealant once every few months. Coincidentally I just took in my car to get professionally detailed (i‘ll get that done once every few years to get rid of swirl marks). The paint looks immaculate!

sherbet

Ready to race!
Well, I dont want to be THAT guy, but as someone who makes a living running a high end detail shop, I have to say that clay very often leaves light marring behind. Try a quality lubricant, like CarPro ECH20 or Shine Supply EcoShine diluted with water as your clay base, Meguiars Blue Bars. Leave the bumpers, rockers, hatch, and glass for the end as those areas will almost always have heavier contamination buildup than others. Twist and tear your clay often to keep it as clean as possible and if it starts to look dirty of brown, cut a new section off. It can be done without harming the paint but it takes a lot of practice and diligence.

A high quality coating will help prevent light marring, and some are even mildly self healing.

Fortunately, the marring from clay is generally very light and surface level, and is easy to polish out with something like Sonax PF and a light-medium foam pad.

Last edited:

gmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Not much more to be said.
It’s the most common first time mistake. Don’t feel bad. Most of us have been there.