GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change - wait till 10k?!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good point, if you keep your car for longer than the warranty period
changing the oil sooner is better. I do mine @ 6 months oil and filter.

I can't fathom running 0W20 oil in the summer heat of Arizona.

I don't run 0W20. In the summer I run 10W40 and in the winter 0W30.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My $0.02...

But what’s the point when you change the oil without testing?

1k miles? 4K miles?

It’s all guessing.

I will say oil is a finite resource that does impact the environment.

So if your oil OCI checks out at 6k miles you’re just wasting time, money and resources.

Besides, you never hear about VWs going through motors if maintained to the factory OCI, at least before 200k miles. Usually the whole car falls apart while the engine keeps on ticking. ;)

I drive a little over 1000 miles per week so I consider changing my oil every 4000 miles to be cheap insurance. Plus it cost about $35 to get a UOA. I'll be keeping my GTI for at least 200,000 miles so it will be maintained meticulously.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I drive a little over 1000 miles per week so I consider changing my oil every 4000 miles to be cheap insurance. Plus it cost about $35 to get a UOA. I'll be keeping my GTI for at least 200,000 miles so it will be maintained meticulously.

I will bet your UOA will show 10k is fine, especially since you’re driving that much.

You would only have to do 1-3 UOAs to figure out the right interval.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I will bet your UOA will show 10k is fine, especially since you’re driving that much.

You're probably right but I still believe changing the oil more often can only benefit longevity. My experience with several other cars backs that up.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
The comment above about changing early is patently false with regard to ‘metal particles helping.....’.

This topic sadly has been beat to death but FWIW I always change at 1k, then every 5000 after that. I don’t care that UOA might recommend a longer period. The only downside to changing early is to your wallet.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The comment above about changing early is patently false with regard to ‘metal particles helping.....’.

This topic sadly has been beat to death but FWIW I always change at 1k, then every 5000 after that. I don’t care that UOA might recommend a longer period. The only downside to changing early is to your wallet.

“Even in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary I will continue to do what I’ve always done because I’ve always done it and feel it’s right.”

Ok boomer. :D

Regarding the only downside, there is a cost to the environment.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
“Even in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary I will continue to do what I’ve always done because I’ve always done it and feel it’s right.”

Just changed with Castrol Edge 0W-40. What would you recommend for next interval?

7k+? I'll trust what you say cause I copied your wheel choice :D

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

That’s correct and my protocol. Everyone is free to follow theirs. Electric cars have a cost to the environment also. Do you not recycle your old oil?

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Given that the PCV system is always spitting oil into the intake, I feel better about changing the oil early (5k ish). I’d rather not have that 9000 mile oil getting on the valves and whatever.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Given that the PCV system is always spitting oil into the intake, I feel better about changing the oil early (5k ish). I’d rather not have that 9000 mile oil getting on the valves and whatever.

Get a Spulen OCC and you won't have the oil going into the intake. But I would still change my oil sooner then the recommended mileage.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Can confirm this. Currently have 61k miles in just under 3 years. I was skeptical of the 10k mile claim, especially running 15+ autox events a year. I've had 6 oil analysis done to date. First one at 5k confirmed I could go longer, so I stretched to 6k interval, then 7k, and finally 8k. Even at 8k interval, the analysis is still saying 10k should be no problem at all. By 8k I usually need to add 0.5qt so I figure it's a good time to change. But the data has proved beyond a reasonable doubt that I could go 10k.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty funny how the "experts" here actually have no idea how break-in is accomplished. They expose themselves as uninformed when they announce they've never even heard of particulate wear playing a role in the process.

Not being one to argue with naked ignorance, I'll just say to remember that you heard it here first. Now, when you actually go out and learn about break-in, you may stumble blindly on the same info I mentioned. Maybe then the little minds have opened up and are ready to learn something new.

I wouldn't bank on it, but it could very well happen.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

So it costs less than one oil change to get an UOA and figure your real OCI.

In 100k miles you’ll spend about $1,300 on oil changes.

I will put money on it that driving 1k a week an 8k OCI is more than sufficient.

That will save you $650... that’s not chump change.

Especially when it’s spent on feel good/snake oil claims.

I haven’t seen anyone in the last 10 years lament 10k oil changes in a VW. No one is having issues or engine failures.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Can confirm this. Currently have 61k miles in just under 3 years. I was skeptical of the 10k mile claim, especially running 15+ autox events a year. I've had 6 oil analysis done to date. First one at 5k confirmed I could go longer, so I stretched to 6k interval, then 7k, and finally 8k. Even at 8k interval, the analysis is still saying 10k should be no problem at all. By 8k I usually need to add 0.5qt so I figure it's a good time to change. But the data has proved beyond a reasonable doubt that I could go 10k.

Smart man! Using science instead of “the feels”.