GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change - wait till 10k?!

carerob

first oil change prompt at 4K

new GTI 2019 - getting a prompt to change oil at 4K km, two VW service say no need, one VW says bring it in and we will reset the prompt for 15,000, other says do it at 8,000 but my friend says follow the manufacturer's prompt 4K as this would be correct, to change the oil after the break-in. thoughts??

Raguvian

Ride
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
new GTI 2019 - getting a prompt to change oil at 4K km, two VW service say no need, one VW says bring it in and we will reset the prompt for 15,000, other says do it at 8,000 but my friend says follow the manufacturer's prompt 4K as this would be correct, to change the oil after the break-in. thoughts??
The 4k warning might be because the light (prompt) comes on after 1 year. If your car was sitting at the dealership for a while prior to you buying it then it will hit the 1 year mark well before the 15k km mark.

I would just change the oil anyways since I wouldn't want 1+ year old oil going another 11k km.

jimlloyd40

People pay $25K + for a car and then want to cheap out on oil changes. Changing the oil more often is cheap insurance for your $25K + investment.

golf nutt

Passed Driver's Ed
People pay $25K + for a car and then want to cheap out on oil changes. Changing the oil more often is cheap insurance for your $25K + investment.
Good point, if you keep your car for longer than the warranty period
changing the oil sooner is better. I do mine @ 6 months oil and filter.

I can't fathom running 0W20 oil in the summer heat of Arizona.

XM_Rocks1

My $0.02...

But what’s the point when you change the oil without testing?

1k miles? 4K miles?

It’s all guessing.

I will say oil is a finite resource that does impact the environment.

So if your oil OCI checks out at 6k miles you’re just wasting time, money and resources.

Besides, you never hear about VWs going through motors if maintained to the factory OCI, at least before 200k miles. Usually the whole car falls apart while the engine keeps on ticking. ;)

jimlloyd40

Good point, if you keep your car for longer than the warranty period
changing the oil sooner is better. I do mine @ 6 months oil and filter.

I can't fathom running 0W20 oil in the summer heat of Arizona.

I don't run 0W20. In the summer I run 10W40 and in the winter 0W30.

jimlloyd40

My $0.02...

But what’s the point when you change the oil without testing?

1k miles? 4K miles?

It’s all guessing.

I will say oil is a finite resource that does impact the environment.

So if your oil OCI checks out at 6k miles you’re just wasting time, money and resources.

Besides, you never hear about VWs going through motors if maintained to the factory OCI, at least before 200k miles. Usually the whole car falls apart while the engine keeps on ticking. ;)

I drive a little over 1000 miles per week so I consider changing my oil every 4000 miles to be cheap insurance. Plus it cost about $35 to get a UOA. I'll be keeping my GTI for at least 200,000 miles so it will be maintained meticulously.

XM_Rocks1

I drive a little over 1000 miles per week so I consider changing my oil every 4000 miles to be cheap insurance. Plus it cost about $35 to get a UOA. I'll be keeping my GTI for at least 200,000 miles so it will be maintained meticulously.
I will bet your UOA will show 10k is fine, especially since you’re driving that much.

You would only have to do 1-3 UOAs to figure out the right interval.

jimlloyd40

I will bet your UOA will show 10k is fine, especially since you’re driving that much.

You would only have to do 1-3 UOAs to figure out the right interval.

You're probably right but I still believe changing the oil more often can only benefit longevity. My experience with several other cars backs that up.

dequardo

The comment above about changing early is patently false with regard to ‘metal particles helping.....’.

This topic sadly has been beat to death but FWIW I always change at 1k, then every 5000 after that. I don’t care that UOA might recommend a longer period. The only downside to changing early is to your wallet.

XM_Rocks1

The comment above about changing early is patently false with regard to ‘metal particles helping.....’.

This topic sadly has been beat to death but FWIW I always change at 1k, then every 5000 after that. I don’t care that UOA might recommend a longer period. The only downside to changing early is to your wallet.
“Even in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary I will continue to do what I’ve always done because I’ve always done it and feel it’s right.”

Ok boomer. :D

Regarding the only downside, there is a cost to the environment.

caleb.mk7

“Even in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary I will continue to do what I’ve always done because I’ve always done it and feel it’s right.”

Just changed with Castrol Edge 0W-40. What would you recommend for next interval?

7k+? I'll trust what you say cause I copied your wheel choice :D

dequardo

That’s correct and my protocol. Everyone is free to follow theirs. Electric cars have a cost to the environment also. Do you not recycle your old oil?