GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change - wait till 10k?!

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
So I know the first oil change isn't until 10,000 miles, but on all my cars I've always changed the oil after the break in period (around 1k miles). I don't know if this helps, but it certainly makes me feel better that I'm not using break in oil for the full service interval.

I was planning on changing the oil and filter between 1000 and 2000 miles before installing a JB4. Is that a waste of time/money?

SRoads

Ready to race!
Depends on how long you are keeping the vehicle...less than 5 years like most people...not worth it.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Does VW use "break in oil"? The manual says 10k on oil changes. Its up to you on when you want to do it.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I changed it at fiveK. Years ago when I raced we would change oil on new motors while on Dyno stand after the first hour of running/tuning. New, fresh engines are NOT clean. It is after the oil is changed and you inspect the filter you will see. Of course no one probably has the tool to cut open oil filter to inspect. As another poster wrote....can't hurt right?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
May be one of the easiest oil/oil filter changes.
I use an extractor and the oil filter is top side.
Just use the proper oil with VW approval.

MK 7.5 GTI 508.00 0W20.

I just ordered an extractor. Decided that I don't want to lift the car up due to laziness. :)

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I’m on the “changing it early” boat, only because I can definitely tell the engine gets louder when the oil gets to around 6500-7000 miles. By louder I mean more ticking, clicking, mechanical noises.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If any concern, drain from bottom once in a while.
But top side is fast and good.

I figure for any service that requires the car to be lifted (brakes, etc), I'll do it the old fashioned way, but I like to change my oil every 5k miles so the topside method will be much easier.

My last car was lifted pretty high so I never had to use a jack to change the oil, hence why it's taken me so long to finally order an excavator.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
From most all oil test performed by forum members the oil.holds up well till 10,000.
I did the 1st change at the 1yr mark, and Blackstone's UOA said the oil was OK, and didn't contain an excessive amount of engine. Lubricant science and metallurgy are light-years ahead of where they were when 3,000 miles was gospel, yet some people still cling to that like its gospel. Same goes for the "break-in" oil change, which no manufacturer recommends, save BMW on their M cars, back when the M engines were special. Even then, I always thought the 1,200 mile service was mostly for the benefit of the owners, who wanted to believe that doing extra maintenance granted them access to a special "in the know" section of enthusiasts.