GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Issue with my Golf

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Never got chance to post last week.

On my journey home from work, in stop start traffic the electronic handbrake failed to release, on around 10 occasions. It's the first time this has happened.

Anyone else had this issue?. Car has been faultess in 2 yrs of ownership.

Rappy:cool:

Last edited:

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M

In stop start traffic the electronic handbrake failed to release, on around 10 occasions. It's the first & last time it happened.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Sorry all. Would help if I was more specific. Long day at work yesterday.

So, just to clarify.

Autohold is on. Not like the old VW's were you had to press the button, once belted up.

I thought in my Golf it was faultless & it is. Apart from last Thu. I was sitting in stop start traffic, came to release the clutch & the autohold did not release. I had to press the handbrake button to release & again it kept happening. In the end I decided to hold the car on the foot brake.

No issues since.

Ian91

Ready to race!
Sorry all. Would help if I was more specific. Long day at work yesterday.

So, just to clarify.

Autohold is on. Not like the old VW's were you had to press the button, once belted up.

I thought in my Golf it was faultless & it is. Apart from last Thu. I was sitting in stop start traffic, came to release the clutch & the autohold did not release. I had to press the handbrake button to release & again it kept happening. In the end I decided to hold the car on the foot brake.

No issues since.

Hi Rappy
Had an issue with the auto hold from new with my Mk7 DSG GT, mine will release but it becomes jerky when setting off, still rhe same 18 months on, so I just turn it off, shame really as it works well on all the loan cars I have used.

Could just be a software problem with your car if it has only just occurred, maybe worth asking the service dept if there are any software updates on your model. Just another thought with a manual car, the auto hold may also be affected by the clutch as it heats up in stop start traffic, perhaps just a one off, let us know how you get on.
Ian

TerryReis

Passed Driver's Ed
Not had that issue. But on a few odd occasions it has failed to engage. Twice I have got out of the car before I noticed (could have ended badly, fortunately didn't). I now double/triple check the red light is on when I come to a stop.
After 18 months of otherwise faultless and massively enjoyable driving, the auto handbrake is my least favourite part of the car. Those few failures cause a lack of trust. It is either auto or it isn't.
The problem is all these auto features are driven by software, as we all know software can glitch. Sounds like yours glitched the other day.

Won't cause me to dislike the car but would be happier with an old style mechanical handbrake. If kept well maintained they don't glitch.

chrisreynolds19

Passed Driver's Ed

On my journey home from work, in stop start traffic the electronic handbrake failed to release, on around 10 occasions. It's the first time this has happened.

I had this in my 2016 GTD, took it to the dealer and they found fault to be coming from the ABS unit, was replaced under warranty. I would have to manually release the handbrake when it was on, but it was tempermental, never happened all the time.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf

2 1/2 years in mine still does it from time to time, has since new and , yes, it is properly set up. Several visits to dealer they report "it's working normally", lost interests with potential multiple visits, though less than ideal I'm living with it & not letting it spoil an otherwise good car....

Ian91

Ready to race!
2 1/2 years in mine still does it from time to time, has since new and , yes, it is properly set up. Several visits to dealer they report "it's working normally", lost interests with potential multiple visits, though less than ideal I'm living with it & not letting it spoil an otherwise good car....

X2 Had several visits to dealer with auto hold problem, in the end they said it was a "characteristic of my model" GT tsi DSG. To prove this they obtained another car, same model and this did the same. In the end I also got fed up going back to the dealer and the BS from VW UK. Still a great car and enjoy driving every day!