GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Gear

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I have a southbend stage 3 daily. When installed and for like 10 months of driving, I wasn’t able to get going in first or reverse unless I added some gas otherwise I would stall, which is what I’m always used to with Manuals.

Then I blew my trans and got a used one installed by my shop. Ever since the second trans was installed, I’ve been able to get going in first and reverse without adding any gas at all. So when I start releasing the clutch pedal at a stop, the car automatically revs just enough to get the car going without any gas added.

It’s kinda cool but at the same time I’m left wondering how this is suddenly possible after the second trans was installed.

Any theories?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Interesting. My clutch is an ACT "stage 2" and I can only creep the car forward or backward if I am extremely easy with the clutch, and hold at a certain sweet spot. If I try to release clutch any more for faster movement, I have to match with gas pedal. I have a SMF though so that is some of it as well.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I'm still concerned about this. Any thoughts on what this is? I'm in the process of calling the shop and all that - just wanted to know if anyone's had experience with something like this on here. Although not having to add gas in first gear to get moving is nice, it's not as smooth and just kind of awkward for the car to rev up by itself when releasing the clutch (instead of revs coming down). Even on an uphill lol.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Honestly, if you have not done it already, take it to a shop that specializes in VW/Euro. It could be a sensor issue, but could also be something mechanical.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Oddly, I thought that being able to get the car moving (with a very gentle clutch release and without adding any throttle input) was just a trait of the MK7s. My first car was a 2015 PP (stock clutch; varying versions of stock/JB4/COBB/EQT tunes) and my current car is a 2016 (Southbend Stg 2 Endurance, EQT stg 2 tune). Both cars can easily move the car by gently letting out the clutch...and to that extent, it seems like the ECU almost notices you doing it and adds throttle on its own. I have always found it pretty convenient for pulling out of tight places or doing 3-point turns. So long story short, I am extremely interested to see what the more smarter forum people have to say about this.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Went to the shop and got opinion from two of them on test drive. Normal. Reason why I was concerned was because that’s not at all how the car was driving before the trans swap. It would’ve stalled without gas. Post trans swap is when this started happening. Before the swap, I still had the upgraded clutch and flywheel and it wasn’t happening. But they assured me it’s normal and might have to do with less resistance from the swapped in trans, etc. also the ECU thing was mentioned to me I believe. Car is fine.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Any manual car on flat ground should be able to pull away from a dead stop simply by feathering off the engagement point on the clutch. That yours couldn't before is either user error or crappy clutch pressure plate/TOB.

nyoung

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Did the shop not explain why the transmission went out? Sounds like the trans blew up due to misaligned shift linkage, that would also explain why you had to rev it to get into first. The car creeping forward is normal, almost all cars can get started without gas if you’re gentle enough on the clutch. The engine doesn’t want to stall so it brings the revs up to compensate.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Did the shop not explain why the transmission went out? Sounds like the trans blew up due to misaligned shift linkage, that would also explain why you had to rev it to get into first. The car creeping forward is normal, almost all cars can get started without gas if you’re gentle enough on the clutch. The engine doesn’t want to stall so it brings the revs up to compensate.
They didn’t mostly because I believe the root cause was me absolutely sending it at redline on backroads trying to shift into fourth and obliterating the synchro.

I always pride myself on my smooth shifting, but hey it was still a fun drive…

Can’t rule out linkages…