GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Car Purchase: 2018 VW Golf 1.8T vs 2019 VW Golf 1.4T (both used)

luke23

Car(s)
No current car
Looking to purchase my first vehicle. Im paying for the entire vehicle, insurance, maintenance, and gas etc. so cost of ownership is high on my priority list. Im planning on keeping whichever car I buy for at least 4-5 years. Also located in Toronto, Canada.

Another point, should I buy a trim that offers faux leather, bigger screen display, bigger wheels and a few other small features? Costs around $1500 more. Only considering it because buying a slightly nicer trim will make it easier for me to stick with the same car for longer, which will save me money in the long term, and also have a slightly higher resale value.

Which engine/transmission combo is more reliable in the long term? Im planning on keeping until 150,000km (buying with roughly 40,000km on it already). Priority is saving money but I also want to be able to have a fun car to drive. Im hoping someone that is more knowledgeable about MK7 Golfs could give me there two cents. Thank you.

2018 VW Golf is $100 more to insure annually, as well as most likely $150 more in annual fuel cost, if this means anything.

This is also my first post and my knowledge on these cars are minimal.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum.

Which car has the upgrades? How important is that to you? For your use bigger wheels don't really mean anything. What transmissions does each have? There's too much missing information to be more helpful.

luke23

Car(s)
No current car
Welcome to the forum.

Which car has the upgrades? How important is that to you? For your use bigger wheels don't really mean anything. What transmissions does each have? There's too much missing information to be more helpful.
The cars I am looking at buying are completely stock (mostly likely going to be from a dealer). Eventually, I will get nicer wheels and tires. I would probably get a stage 1 87 octane tune after at least a year of ownership , and then small chance of lowering springs and/or down pipe. I am also looking to buy an automatic transmission. 2018 has a 6 speed auto and 2019 has a 8 speed auto. I would be happy to answer any more questions.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If you're planning on tuning, go 1.8

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I driven both the 1.8T and 1.4T. Both engines are not bad but I'd go for the 1.8T. I'm assuming the 2019 Golf in Canada you're referring to is either the Comfortline or Highline trim?

luke23

Car(s)
No current car
I driven both the 1.8T and 1.4T. Both engines are not bad but I'd go for the 1.8T. I'm assuming the 2019 Golf in Canada you're referring to is either the Comfortline or Highline trim?
yes, 2019 base golf trim is considered comfortline, but base 2018 golf is trendline. Different names but basically exact same features. I was just in my buddy's 2021 base golf and I didnt mind the cloth at all, so Im probably going to go with a base golf for myself.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
its my first car so Im not sure if I will want to tune it (as in, I never owned a car so I never thought to myself 'more power would be nice'. Probably though lmao.

You've already lost the "to tune or not tune" battle as soon as you came on this forum. Pretty soon you'll be driving a gutted time attack Golf. 😁

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
1.8 all day. Unless your reason for buying the car is to hypermile every last bit of mpg's out of your long boring commute, the 1.4 is punchy and fuel efficient but gutless. The 1.4 has very little tuning potential as well.

The fwd 1.8 will get still be very fuel efficient (30+mpgs) but the tuning potential is far greater should you choose to bump the power up down the line.